Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
No matter how young we look, it will not erase the years we've lived. We'll become bitter.

The quote above is one I read in a fanfic (link below). I like it so much, it sounds so deep to me that I want to use a variation of it in my book. But I'm not sure whether it's grammatically correct the way it is written above. Can someone help?

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9352245/1/Mother-Gothel-s-Beginnings

I think the two clauses in the sentence are not linked. What is "it"?

So how would you reword that sentence?

No matter how young we look, the years we've lived will not be erased. We'll become bitter.

How young we look will not erase the years we've lived (no matter what). We'll become bitter.

No matter how young we look, the years we've lived will not be erased. We'll become bitter.

How young we look will not erase the years we've lived (no matter what). We'll become bitter.

Thanks for your help. But I'd feel better if a teacher told me their opinion too.

My opinion is that the sentence is very badly written and the thought itself is probably ill-conceived.

Please don't make us read the entire story. Just tell us what the sentence is supposed to mean. The it is meant as some kind of elixir of youth, right?

My opinion is that the sentence is very badly written and the thought itself is probably ill-conceived.

Please don't make us read the entire story. Just tell us what the sentence is supposed to mean. The it is meant as some kind of elixir of youth, right?

You have watched the Disney Tangled movie. Right? It's a fanfic telling the backstory of Gothel. It's a short one, so you can read it in a few minutes.

As for what it means, I'm not sure either. It sounds deep, though, and I want to use it. I just want to know whether there is a grammar mistake in it.

You have watched the Disney Tangled movie. Right?

Nope.

It's a fanfic telling the backstory of Gothel. It's a short one, so you can read it in a few minutes.

I told you not to ask us to do that.

As for what it means, I'm not sure either. It sounds deep, though, and I want to use it.

Don't. It isn't deep.

I just want to know whether there is a grammar mistake in it.

Well, you should be wanting to know whether it makes any sense.

How about and we'll become bitter?

But I'd feel better if a teacher told me their opinion too.
It's rather tactless to say that. If other members, including teachers, feel that an answer is incorrect, they will comment. If nobody comments, it's reasonable to assume that the answer id OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back