Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Are short forms wrong in positive responses only as in "Yes, I'm" instead of "Yes, I am" but correct in negative answers? Example "D".

A: "Are you a teacher?"

B: "Yes, I am." Not "Yes, I'm."

C: "Are you a teacher?"

D: "No, I'm not."

The simple rule is that we never contract I am, we are, and so on unless another word follows and the verb isn't emphasized. It's never possible to end a sentence with such a contraction.

The simple rule is that we never contract I am, we are, and so on unless another word follows and the verb isn't emphasized. It's never possible to end a sentence with such a contraction.

I don't know when to add a comma before conjunctions. Why no comma is needed before "and the verb"?

The simple rule is that we never contract I am, we are, and so on unless another word follows and the verb isn't emphasized.

I don't know when to add a comma before conjunctions. Why is no comma [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] needed before "and the verb"?
I don't know how to explain this in grammatical terms, but the phrase "another word follows and the verb isn't emphasized" comprises a single idea. Suppose we wrote this as the Boolean logic statement "A AND B": both conditions must be satisfied to make the whole statement evaluate to TRUE.

Always use inversion to form questions. You can't just add a question word to a declarative statement to turn it into a question.

Maybo, there is no simple rule as to whether a comma is needed or not. In informal use it is a matter of personal taste to some extent. Publications often have documents called style guides that set out their policies on commas and other matters of style.

I don't know how to explain this in grammatical terms, but the phrase "another word follows and the verb isn't emphasized" comprises a single idea. Suppose we wrote this as the Boolean logic statement "A AND B": both conditions must be satisfied to make the whole statement evaluate to TRUE.

Yes, that's right (not that you need telling.) Your statement used and in its use as a logical operator. We don't use commas around and when it's used like this.

“I should define punctuation as being governed two-thirds by rule and one-third by personal taste.”

G.V. Carey, author of Mind the Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back