Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Canada
"No grits, no guts," this is is an expression from A Passage to India by E. M. Forster. I wonder what it means. is it something like 'no brains, no feelings?'

"No grits, no guts." This is is an expression from A Passage to India by E. M. Forster. I wonder what it means. Is it something like 'No brains, no feelings?'
Note my corrections above. Take more care with your capitalisation and punctuation.

Without further context, it simply appears to be a comment on someone's lack of bravery. Please tell us more about the passage in which it appears. What are they talking about when someone says it?

Without further context, it simply appears to be a comment on someone's lack of bravery.
It could also be expressing the sentiment that one cannot have courage without strength of character. As previously mentioned, we need more context to determine exactly.

I wonder what it means. is it something like 'no brains, no feelings?'
Either way, it's related to character and courage, not emotions and intelligence.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back