Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In Ukraine, scientists are pressuring nations to freeze Russia out of their science programmes, and calling on Russian institutes and scientific leaders to condemn the invasion.

“There should be a complete boycott of the Russian academic community. No cooperation,” says Maksym Strikha, a physicist at the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, who is in the centre of the Ukrainian capital and said the frontline was 30 kilometres away. That includes barring Russian-authored articles from Western journals and banning researchers with Russian affiliations from international research teams, he says. “The Russian academic community should also pay its own price for supporting [Russian President Vladimir] Putin.”

Source: Nature
Does “no cooperation” here means the fact that (Russia’s scientific community does) not Cooperate with the international scientific community”?

No. It means that non-Russian academic communities should not cooperate in any way with the Russian academic community.

It's an oddly punctuated paragraph IMO.

It's an oddly punctuated paragraph IMO.
It certainly doesn't result in two grammatical sentences but I don't think it's odd as spoken English.

I'm going on a diet tomorrow. No bread!
I don't want anything sweet at the party. No cakes!
Don't interrupt the teacher during class. No talking.

I would give the second one an exclamation mark, thus:

No cooperation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back