Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
Using the past perfect with "for" & "since" has raised a question. While "for" would denote a block of time (e.g. one week, a minute, the whole year, etc.), and "since" a specific starting point (e.g. yesterday, 10:05 pm, third grade, 2009, etc.), I've heard some of my students use the phrase "....since two years ago."
I've never used that phrasing, opting instead for the "for" example, or a less vague "since" reference. Are they correct, or in the ballpark?
B.

Using the past perfect with "for" & "since" has raised a question. While "for" would denote a block of time (e.g. one week, a minute, the whole year, etc.), and "since" a specific starting point (e.g. yesterday, 10:05 pm, third grade, 2009, etc.), I've heard some of my students use the phrase "....since two years ago."
I've never used that phrasing, opting instead for the "for" example, or a less vague "since" reference. Are they correct, or in the ballpark?
B.
I don't have any problem with "since two years ago".

You'll note that the "authority" mmasny is quoting, was a "guest". with no record of posting here. Remember that anyone can come here, write that Black is White, then leave. Casiopea finished the thread without commenting on this exact phrase - so it was not competently debated on that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back