[Grammar] Need urgent advice: Usage of Past Participle with present indefinite auxiliary verbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mharis05

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I need a quick suggestion/advise on the correct usage of the following:

The case is, on pressing a certain button on a software, user is given an error message AFTER the button is pressed. I'm being asked which one to choose from the below:

"Instructions are not sent for accounts which are associated to different investment plans than its workplace investing model."

Following is what I suggested, since the message appears AFTER user has pressed the button:

"Instructions were not sent for account(s) which are associated to different plans than their workplace investing model(s)."

Thanks in Advance! :)
- Haris

Last edited:
I need a quick suggestion/advise on the correct usage of the following:

The case is, on pressing a certain button on a software, user is given an error message AFTER the button is pressed. I'm being asked which one to choose from the below:

"Instructions are not sent for accounts which are associated to different investment plans than its workplace investing model."

Following is what I suggested, since the message appears AFTER user has pressed the button:

"Instructions were not sent for account(s) which are associated to different plans than their workplace investing model(s)."

Thanks in Advance! :)
- Haris
Neither of them make much sense to me I'm afraid.

Can you please explain why?

I would like to add here that I am reluctant to use "could not be" instead of were not / are not.

Nevertheless, I have forwarded the following message for implementation:

Instructions have not been sent for account(s) associated to different plans than their workplace investing model(s).

"...are not sent" is used in the response as a general statement of policy and not as a direct/specific response ("....were not sent") to you pressing the button, but nevertheless, it provides sufficient notice to anyone who holds accounts "associated to ("with" would be better) different investment plans" .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back