Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"You need to have been living in Ukraine for 5 years to become a Ukraine national." How would you interpret this sentence? If were giving advice or talking about immigration formalities, I would say it refers to becoming a Ukraine citizen in the future after a person has lived in Ukraine for 5 years. I wonder if it could refer to a person who's already become a Ukraine national?

Last edited:
"If I were giving advice or talking about immigration formalities, I would say it refers to becoming a Ukraine citizen in the future after a person has lived in Ukraine for 5 years."
I agree with you on that.
However, in discussing someone who has already become a Ukraine national, then you would put it as "He had to have been living in (the) Ukraine for 5 years before becoming a Ukraine national", or "He had to have lived..."

Or he could probably say "I needed to have........" What do you think?

Last edited:
Correct. "You need to..." refers to a future action. To describe the past, either "I needed to..." or "I had to..."

Would this grammatical construction be more typical of AmE? Or is it both AmE and BrE?

Last edited:
I would kindly ask you to give me an answer. I need to include in my semestrial research paper.

It's OK in BE.

Could I get an answer on the American part?

Last edited:
Since there hasn't been any answer on the American part, it wouldn't be as frequently used in AmE as in BE?

Since there hasn't been any answer on the American part, it wouldn't be as frequently used in AmE as in BE?
Don't assume that. Wait for an American.

It's perfectly normal in AmE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back