Need a word to describe a hostile way of answering questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

totanka

Member Type
Student or Learner
I am looking for a word to describe a particular behaviour illustrated by a fictional charater for a story I am writing.

The character "Dinsmaner" is very knowledgable in his specialty field of knowledge. When Dinsmaner is asked to answer a question about something he knows in his field, he will act and answer in a very aggravated and annoyed manner, with a hint of hostility and agitation. After having answered the question he leaves the questioner feeling very reluctant to ask him other questions. The questioner feels a bit terrorized afterwards.

Anyway, what word would best describe Dinsmaner when he answers questions in his specialty field?

Thanks, Bob

If he feels that he is being attacked and his knowledge is being questioned, then his answers might be said to be defensive.

What comes to mind is "dismissively" or "sarcastically".

I am looking for a word to describe a particular behaviour illustrated by a fictional charater for a story I am writing.

The character "Dinsmaner" is very knowledgable in his specialty field of knowledge. When Dinsmaner is asked to answer a question about something he knows in his field, he will act and answer in a very aggravated and annoyed manner, with a hint of hostility and agitation. After having answered the question he leaves the questioner feeling very reluctant to ask him other questions. The questioner feels a bit terrorized afterwards.

Anyway, what word would best describe Dinsmaner when he answers questions in his specialty field?

Thanks, Bob
You've been given a few suggestions, but they mightn't work.
If he is not being defensive, he could simply be arrogant. He might feel that there's no point explaining such things to others because they couldn't possibly understand it.
So, why is he doing this?
And do you want an adjective to describe him, a noun to call him ...?

How about "brusque" or "blunt"?

Thanks, Bob

How about spitefull?
So you don't know why he does it?
He's your character. If you want to make him spiteful, or defensive, or arrogant, that's up to you. But none of these words describes his actual behaviour. They are all descriptions of the character trait that causes his behaviour, and that's something that you have to decide.
His behaviour is rude, abrupt, impolite ... or the ones mindkeeper has given.

Last edited:
If he is not being defensive, he could simply be arrogant.
Arrogant people often get defensive. There's no way back usually ;-)

confrontational (manner of reply)
challenging
adversatorial
antagonistic
intimidating

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back