Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"NBC serves up a wide range of movies and talk shows." ?? Can we say in this context?

You haven't given any context.

"NBC serves up a wide range of movies and talk shows." ?? Can we say in this context?
This is frequently heard in the US. Are you quoting an ad for NBC?

This is frequently heard in the US. Are you quoting an ad for NBC?

No. I made it up. I wanted to check if it's possible to use it this way. I looked up a defenition in a dictionary that read "to provide information or entertainment for people."

No. I made it up. I wanted to check if it's possible to use it this way. I looked up a defenition in a dictionary that read "to provide information or entertainment for people."
To use what? A definition of what?
You can't just write a sentence and ask, "Is it OK to use it this way", unless you say what 'it' is.

To use what? A definition of what?
You can't just write a sentence and ask, "Is it OK to use it this way", unless you say what 'it' is.
"serve up someting"=to provide information or entertainment for people, especially television or radio programmes.

"serve up someting"=to provide information or entertainment for people, especially television or radio programmes.
OK, now it is clear.
Yes, it's all right, but it sounds a bit derogatory to my Australian ears.
"I don't bother watching the crap that NBC serves up." That's how I'd use the term, but American usage might be different.

Raymott, would "serves" without "up" sound neutral to you?

Raymott, would "serves" without "up" sound neutral to you?
Yes, perhaps. But "serves" isn't normally used like this. The collocation is "served up". It can be mock derogatory.
Teacher: OK,students, leave your essays on my desk on your way out, and I'll see what you've served up for me this time.

OK, now it is clear.
Yes, it's all right, but it sounds a bit derogatory to my Australian ears.
"I don't bother watching the crap that NBC serves up." That's how I'd use the term, but American usage might be different.
It can be used in either a postitive or negative context in AmE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back