Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
In the grammar book I'm using, the rule for the article usage says that with the names of museums the definite article is mostly used. Having got naturally curious, I decided to have a look at a list of museums and yes, I have found a few without 'the': Horniman Museum, White Cube Bermondsey, Tate Britain... (https://www.visitlondon.com/things-...ction/museum/top-museums-and-galleries-london) Could you please explain why there is no 'the' in front of them? If there is an explanation, of course...

Last edited:
The headings/title descriptions as shown on the link would typically not require the article, but as noted in the detailed description they are and should be included.

Yes, I know that headings don't require articles, and I did read the descriptions. In those I mentioned there are no articles. 'Don't miss Tate Modern, the iconic power station turned art gallery', for instance.

In the grammar book I'm using, the rule for the article usage says ….
I've underlined an article you'll want to review.

The only ones I can think of are those with abbreviated names, like MoMA and MASS MoCA.

It's a fairly recent trend for institutions to drop the definite article at the beginning of their names, but people still use the articles when referring to them.

Whether the word "the" is considered part of the name of an organization is up to the organization. Check their website if you want to be sure. For example, "The Ohio State University" (with a capitalized "The") is that university's official name.

The only ones I can think of are those with abbreviated names, like MoMA and MASS MoCA.
I wonder how 'MoMA' and 'MoCA' are pronounced. Like 'Coca' in 'Coca Cola', perhaps? Or do you pronounce lowercase letters the way they sound in the alphabet, too?

I wonder how 'MoMA' and 'MoCA' are pronounced. Like 'Coca' in 'Coca Cola', perhaps? Or do you pronounce lowercase letters the way they sound in the alphabet, too?
We pronounce acronyms as if they were words. Whether letters are upper or lower case has no effect. Therefore, MoMA and MoCA both rhyme with "Coca-Cola".

MoMA rhymes with aroma and Oklahoma.

MASS rhymes with lass and pass.

MoCA
rhymes with mocha and polka.

MoMA rhymes with aroma and Oklahoma.

MASS rhymes with lass and pass.

MoCA
rhymes with mocha and polka.

Those work for AmE speakers, but not necessarily for other variants (and regional accents within those variants). For example, for me:

MoMA rhymes with aroma and Oklahoma. :tick: That's the same in BrE.

MASS rhymes with lass and pass. It rhymes with "lass" but I pronounce "pass" with a long "a" - "p-ahhh-ss".

MoCA
rhymes with mocha and polka. This depends on your pronunciation of "mocha" where you are. I don't know if you're pronouncing it "moe-kuh" or "mock-uh". I use the latter, which doesn't rhyme with "polka". So ... is MoCA pronounced "moe-kuh" or "mock-uh"?

In addition to the responses already posted, I should mention that even within the U.S. pronunciation varies among regional areas. For example, on a highway in the Boston, Mass. area there is a notice posted as "Use Ya Blinka" ( a colloquial accent) meaning, 'use your blinker' . Other areas of the U.S. have their unique accents and pronunciations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back