Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Below I have provided some photos illustrating suburban trains that run in Russia. They usually travel between suburban stations (places) at short distances (compared to distances between big cities like St. Petersburg and Moscow).

In Russia we call them "electrical trains", if literally translated. What phrases or words would you suggest for calling them in English? Trains? Suburban trains?

Some key photos related to my question are given below:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https://dzen.ru/a/YQkuTMHMVwozdHcA&psig=AOvVaw3E84YSfjzw2-VBctbwEFlQ&ust=1723502969446000&source=images&cd=vfe&opi=89978449&ved=0CBEQjRxqFwoTCIDDiYOD7ocDFQAAAAAdAAAAABAJ

The last link illustartes a special type of a train called "Lastochka" (Eng. "Swallow"). Such trains can also run between big cities. A few days ago I traveled from St. Petersburg to Moscow and back by "Lastochka".

P.S. The trains I am asking about are often used by people who travel to their countryside places.

I'm fine with "suburban trains". Also, local trains are often called "commuter trains" or "light rail".

I'm fine with "suburban trains". Also, local trains are often called "commuter trains" or "light rail".

OK!

Can we say just "train"?
E.g.: Yesterday I went to the town of Pushkin by train (meaning "suburban train"). Is the sentence fine?

Does the word "light rail" mean a means of transport or a railway system for non-long-distance trains? Can I say, for example, "Yesterday I went to the town of Pushkin by light rail"?

Yes, you can say "train" by itself.

It's local. We have one here in Charlotte sometimes called "light rail".

Yes. Local.

All my childhood I would travel to my grandmother by train (long-distance train) and then travelled to my 'dacha' (country-side place) via 'electrichka' meaning literally 'electrical train'. Hence the name. I believe that 'electrical train' and 'suburban train' are probably the best ways of calling what is shown in the pictures.

All my childhood I would travel to my grandmother by train (long-distance train) and then travelled to my 'dacha' (country-side place) via 'electrichka' meaning literally 'electrical train'. Hence the name. I believe that 'electrical train' and 'suburban train' are probably the best ways of SAYING what is shown in the pictures.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back