Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Marathi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I want to know the names for army units in old times that uses guns....? Were they called Gunnery like Cavalry or Elephantry or camelry or cannonry...? But I think cannonry is suitable for section of army that was using big canons and not guns used by individual soldier....I want that particular name?
Also I want to know name for army unit that uses bows and arrows...? Was it bowry or archery?
Hope you understand the question?

I think you'll need to be more specific. Military units often go by different names in different countries. Are you asking about the names for individual units/small groups, or a larger collection? What kinds of weapons are you asking about?

For example, a cannon is operated by a team called a crew, but a group of multiple cannons is called a battery. These terms are still used for modern day artillery units.

'Archer' is the term for someone using a bow. The name for a unit would depend whether they were foot archers or mounted archers.

Many of the terms for military organizational hierarchy are still used today - platoons, squads, companies, regiments, battalions, etc. Those refer the the relative size of the group, not the type of weapon used.

Finally, some of the historical units such as grenadiers, musketeers, and fusiliers no longer exist in their original concept as their weapons are antiquated, but the names have been kept for the sake of tradition, even though they use modern weapons. They're indistinguishable from a 'regular' modern soldier in role and armament, aside from their dress regalia.

Are you looking for the word 'infantry'?

Are you looking for the word 'infantry'?
I think word for army unit using elephant in s elephantry, using camels camelry, using chariots is chariotry.....

But I didn't get word for units using guns....like gunnerary etc., there is a word cannonry but is used for troops deployed for large cannons not for individual soldiers carrying guns....I want word for that..... also word for unit carrying bow and arrow.....I think archerary is suitable word.....

Word Infantry is for foot soldiers combating with melee Weapons, I want word for Archer's, gunners.... now you get my point......

I think word for army unit using elephant in s elephantry, using camels camelry, using chariots is chariotry.....

Those would be generally be considered cavalry, not infantry. If you're riding something, it's cavalry.

But I didn't get word for units using guns....

Don't all units use guns nowadays?

like gunnerary etc., there is a word cannonry but is used for troops deployed for large cannons

If you're talking about long-ranged weapons like cannons, you mean 'artillery'.

not for individual soldiers carrying guns....I want word for that.....

Infantry. Foot soldiers with muskets or rifles. In the days before guns were invented, infantry would carry weapons such as swords or axes, but since then, they carry firearms.

also word for unit carrying bow and arrow.....I think archerary is suitable word.....

Yes, archers. The individual man is an 'archer' but the class is 'archery'.

Word Infantry is for foot soldiers combating with melee Weapons,

I don't think guns count as melee weapons. For a long time, infantry units have carried guns.

Last edited:
I think the word for an army unit using elephants in s is "elephantry", using camels "camelry", and using chariots is "chariotry".
Note my corrections above. None of those words exist in English.
But However, I didn't get find a word for units using guns, like "gunnerary" etc.
Note my corrections above.
there is a The word "cannonry" exists but is used for troops deployed for to use large cannons, not for individual soldiers carrying guns. I want a word for that. I also want a word for a unit carrying bows and arrows. I think "archerary" is a suitable word.
The word "infantry" is for foot soldiers combating with melee weapons. I want a word for archers, gunners.
I hope you now you get my point.

Please take the time to look at all the corrections and changes I made to your post (I separated them into individual paragraphs for ease of reading).
We don't connect or end sentences with strings of five dots. You must learn to use full stops (periods) correctly. An ellipsis is a type of punctuation but you don't need to learn about that yet.
You need to work on your use of articles.

Is somebody going to explain what a melee weapon is?

Is somebody going to explain what a melee weapon is?
There's no need for anyone here to explain it. Don't you use Google or Wikipedia, @Tarheel? It took me less than two seconds to look it up. We expect learners to do their own research before asking here and we expect the same of native speakers.

OK, but whenever I google something I lose UE. Also, there's something else. (I didn't care that much to look it up myself. 😊)

OK, but whenever I google something I lose UE.
That makes no sense. Even if you're using a phone rather than a computer, whichever browser you're using can have multiple tabs open at any one time. You simply switch between UE and another site.
Also, there's something else. (I didn't care that much to look it up myself. 😊)
That doesn't set a great example to our learners!

It doesn't seem to happen with anything else. If I google something UE closes, and if I want to get back on I have to reopen it. Don't ask me why that is. I don't know!

Here's a tip that may help @Tarheel. When you log into UE you should see a box that says "Stay logged in". If you check that box I think UE will pass you a cookie. After that you should never need to log in again unless you have cleared your browser cookies. I myself have been continiously logged in for the last decade or so.

'Elephantry' and 'camelry' are legitimate terms for military units using elephants and camels, but they're not necessarily restricted to combat units. The terms also encompass logistical and transportation use. I'm not certain, but I think the terms can also refer to civilian use of the animals as well.

Heavily armored equestrian units are known as 'cataphracts', but only if the animal itself along with the rider are both armored.

I guess I misstated things. I don't have to log in, but I do have to refresh the page if I google something. It's like with the chess puzzles page. If the page disappears I can go back and take off right where I left off. (It's easier there. Just me and endless chess puzzles. 😊)

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back