Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi, I am an English teacher for basic level students in Taipei; however, being a non-native English speaker, I'm always eager to learn and grow through more exercises. Really appreciate if anyone can give suggestions on the paragraph about my teaching philosophy, and please feel free to give comments. Many thanks!

My teaching philosophy is not only to provide students a high-quality education, but also to create a welcoming classroom environment that enables students to feel valued and excited. I think it’s very important to learn in a relaxing way so that students don’t hesitate to express and share their thoughts . Furthermore, to intrigue students’ interest and motivation, I often start conversations about things that students are curious about. Thanks to ABC and its outstanding teaching materials, hundreds of English-learning students have become excellent at the language. A great number of students here also obtained high scores on English proficiency tests, like TOEFL and high school entrance exam! Lastly, for a teacher, lifelong learning is a necessity. Besides daily reading routine and attending teacher seminar, I enjoy working with my colleagues and plan to grow professionally through collaboration. I will work hard to maintain a decent atmosphere conducive to student-centered learning.

Last edited:
Hi, I am an English teacher for basic-level students in Taipei; however, being a non-native English speaker, I'm always eager to learn and grow through more practice. [STRIKE]exercises.[/STRIKE] I would really appreciate it if anyone can give suggestions on the paragraph about my teaching philosophy, and please feel free to give comments. Many thanks!

My teaching philosophy is not only to provide students a high-quality education, but also to create a welcoming classroom environment that enables students to feel valued and excited. I think it’s very important to learn in a [STRIKE]relaxing[/STRIKE] relaxed way so that students don’t hesitate to express and share their thoughts. Furthermore, to [STRIKE]intrigue[/STRIKE] increase students’ interest and motivation, I often start conversations about things that students are curious about. Thanks to ABC and its outstanding teaching materials, hundreds of [STRIKE]English-learning[/STRIKE] EFL students have become proficient in English. [STRIKE]excellent at the language.[/STRIKE] A great number of students here also obtained high scores [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] in various English proficiency tests, like TOEFL and the High School Entrance Exam! Lastly, for a teacher, lifelong learning is a necessity. Besides my daily reading routine and attending teacher seminars, I enjoy working with my colleagues and plan to grow professionally through collaborating with them. [STRIKE]on.[/STRIKE] I will work hard to maintain a decent atmosphere conducive to student-centered learning.

Hello bonkiteng, and welcome to the forum. :)
The bit about the ABC teaching material is not really about your teaching philosophy, is it?

Thank you for the warm welcome and taking time to give me these valuable comments!
You're so right about the ABC teaching material part being irrelevant. :)

I have a questions about the terms "in a relaxing way" and "in a relaxed way".
I always interpret present participle/past participle as adjective this way:
A bored man = a man that is bored
A boring man = a man that bores others

But when it comes to the word relax, it seems a little weird for me to interpret "teach in relaxed way" as "teach in a way that is relaxed".
Can I look at "teach in a relaxed way" as "teach in a way that (the person who's teaching) is relaxed?
Any Comments and suggestions are appreciated!

If you teach in a relaxing way, you will reduce student tension. If you teach in a relaxed way, you will be calm. There may be some crossover- a relaxed teacher may calm students, but you could teach in a relaxing way while being eaten up with tension yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tdol! Your explanation really helps! I think I am seeing the big picture.

So dose the following interpretation seems correct?
Learn in a relaxing way means learning in a way that calms others (strange)
whereas
Learn in a relaxed way means learning in a way that the learner himself or herself feels calm (make more sense)

Any Comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Dear teacher,
Is the sentence below about predicting future or intention about what sh/he is going to do in furtre?
I will work hard to maintain a decent atmosphere conducive to student-centered learning.

So dose the following interpretation seems correct?
Learn in a relaxing way means learning in a way that calms others (strange)
whereas
Learn in a relaxed way means learning in a way that the learner himself or herself feels calm (make more sense)

I would say that the first aims to make the learners feel relaxed - a process - but the second has produced the results of calmness.

Dear teacher,
Is the sentence below about predicting future or intention about what sh/he is going to do in furtre?

It sounds like a promise or commitment to me.

Thanks Tdol! Your explanation really helps! I think I am seeing the big picture.

So [STRIKE]dose[/STRIKE] does the following interpretation [STRIKE]seems[/STRIKE] seem correct?
"Learn in a relaxing way" means learning in a way that calms others (strange) whereas "Learn in a relaxed way" means learning in a way that the learner himself or herself feels calm (make more sense).

Any comments and suggestions are appreciated!

See my corrections above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back