Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "My suspicion is that hyperimmune globulin can be prepared..." mean "I am worrying whether hyperimmune globulin can be prepared (and manufactured before we’ll have a viable vaccine)"?

================

The last time Takeda produced hyperimmune globulin was for the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic. The company concentrated antibodies from 16,000 liters of convalescent plasma, yielding enough product to treat thousands of patients. But the flu strain proved milder than anticipated and the treatment was never used. Survivor antibodies will probably have a bigger role this time, Bouvier says. “My suspicion is that hyperimmune globulin can be prepared and manufactured before we’ll have a viable vaccine.”

Source: Science
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/can-plasma-covid-19-survivors-help-save-others

See Longman's definition 3. Although the definition says "especially something bad", that barely applies in this case.

I've read the similar definition before posting the thread. Sorry the question remains as it is.

The defintion doesn't seem to solve the question because it doesn't clearly point out the right direction of the antibodies preparation to be done in time.

I suspect/have a hunch

I suspect/have a hunch

So it is a confirmation? It equals "My intuition tells me that..."

But "suspicion/suspect" sounds to negate that can be done.

My suspicion is that = I suspect that = I think that

He's saying he thinks it can be done in time.

Last edited:
My suspicion is that = I suspect that = I think that

He' saying he thinks it can be done in time.

Okay now. The meaning is clear.
The word suspicion, like sanction, can have two opposite meanings:
1) a belief or idea that something may be true
2) a feeling or belief that someone has committed a crime or done something wrong
(Cambridge Dictionary)

I think 1) is suitable in the context of the OP. 2) is the Longman's definition 3 (a feeling you have that something is true, especially something bad). Here's something good.

Okay now. The meaning is clear.
The word suspicion, like sanction, can have two opposite meanings:
1) a belief or idea that something may be true
2) a feeling or belief that someone has committed a crime or done something wrong
(Cambridge Dictionary)
The meanings are not contradictory. It means "belief" in both cases. It's usually used when the belief is about something negative; in this case, that the best we can hope for is a complex treatment, but at least that may arrive before a vaccine becomes available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back