My private teacher charges a good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luis Flmg

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
When it comes to teaching private students, can I say My teacher charges a good price? Is what private students pay called tuition? I don't think price and tuition are the right words.

You can say "a good price" or "a good rate". "Good" would be taken to mean "reasonable" or even "cheap". In BrE, we'd say they pay "a tuition fee". They're paying for tuition.
Why did you think that "price" and "tuition" aren't the right words? What alternatives were you considering?

I would use "a reasonable rate" instead.

No. Have you tried looking up "tuition" yet?
www.onelook.com

See above.
Yes, that's why I came to the conclusion that the words were wrong. Anyway, I also know that sometimes dictionaries are not precise.

You can say "a good price" or "a good rate". "Good" would be taken to mean "reasonable" or even "cheap". In BrE, we'd say they pay "a tuition fee". They're paying for tuition.
Why did you think that "price" and "tuition" aren't the right words? What alternatives were you considering?
I just couldn't come up with anything.

I just couldn't come up with anything.
That answers the question "What alternatives were you considering?" but it doesn't answer "Why did you think that "price" and "tuition" aren't the right words?"

That answers the question "What alternatives were you considering?" but it doesn't answer "Why did you think that "price" and "tuition" aren't the right words?"
I've learned that there are many words in English (price, tuition, fee, etc...) that corresponds to one single word in Portuguese - preço. So it's not always easy for us, Brazilians, to know exactly when to use them. The sentence I posted is one of the cases. I wasn't sure about tuition because the dictionaries where I looked up this word in didn't mention private classes.

Say:

So it's not always easy for us Brazilians to know which one to use.

That's understandable. Also, as you have already noticed, comparing an English word to its Portuguese equivalent has limited usefulness. (You are advanced enough not to have to do that.)

Say:

So it's not always easy for us Brazilians to know which one to use.

That's understandable. Also, as you have already noticed, comparing an English word to its Portuguese equivalent has limited usefulness. (You are advanced enough not to have to do that.)
You're totally right! That's why I opened the thread. I would never be able to know the answers without coming here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back