My friend lives deep inside Manhattan so our cab has to go through narrow streets to

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
My friend lives deep inside Manhattan so our cab has to go through narrow streets to drop him which irritates driver.

Please check my sentence.

You need to add a comma and an article. Try again.

Wouldn't Delhi be a more realistic place for your friend to live?

Are the streets in Manhattan really that narrow? (I have never been there)

Are the streets in Manhattan really that narrow? (I have never been there)

No, they aren't. No cabby minds going anywhere on the island unless it's a dangerous neighborhood with little chance of picking up a return fare.

You need to add a comma and an article. Try again.

Wouldn't Delhi be a more realistic place for your friend to live?

My friend lives deep inside Chandni chowk so, our cab has to go through narrow streets to drop him. which irritates driver.

My friend lives deep inside Chandni chowk so, our cab has to go through narrow streets to drop him. which irritates driver.

Two things. One, I think the article is supposed to go in front of driver. Two, you might want to make that either a compound sentence or two sentences.

That isn't Manhattan, though. Changing the name of a place to somewhere that isn't the same and doesn't have the same features does not help people understand you.

What's the American expression?

That isn't Manhattan, though. Changing the name of a place to somewhere that isn't the same and doesn't have the same features does not help people understand you.

To me, changing the place from Manhattan, where the streets are straight and relatively wide, to one apparently in India, where I can easily imagine the streets to be narrow and winding, makes the text believable.

That is, however, changing it back to the facts- the problem was the first post.

The phrase "deep inside Manhattan" introduces a new concept to me.

The phrase "deep inside Manhattan" introduces a new concept to me.

Yes. That phrase works for very old cities with labyrinthine street layouts. It's not well suited to a place with a simple grid layout.

Yes. That phrase works for very old cities with labyrinthine street layouts. It's not well suited to a place with a simple grid layout.

Are my sentences wrong or right? Could you please correct my sentences please?

My friend lives in the old part of town. Cab drivers taking him home aren't happy, because they have to drive through very narrow streets.

What if we have say "he lives deep inside a particular place"? I mean what is the replacement for his?

You could say he lives deep in the old part of town.

What if we have say "he lives deep inside a particular place"? I mean what is the replacement for his?

I have underlined problems in your post. Please try again.

Tufguy, why would you have to say that?
:?:

The first comma is misplaced. Put it after "Chowk" (which should be capitalized), not after "so". Place a comma before "which". You have a period there.

Perhaps:

My friend lives in the old part of town, and to get to his place the cab driver has to drive down narrow streets, and that irritates him.

I have underlined problems in your post. Please try again.

What if we have to say "he lives deep inside a particular place"? I mean what is the replacement for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back