[Idiom] My family tree is full of nuts. What's the meaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nadi Basinova

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
United States
Hello everyone!
I've come across the phrase: My family tree is full of nuts.
As I get it, it basically means "my family is big" or "has many family members".
I am wondering does this saying have a second meaning - the funny one? I am referring to the word "nuts".

It means that the persons ancestors were all mad in some way.

The phrase has only one meaning: many of my ancestors were eccentric.

It's just a little joke.
It could be your brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, your own kids - just lots of "craziness" but not necessarily in a pathological/clinical sense.

The statement uses tree and nuts in two ways: first as if it were a real tree producing real nuts, second as if his relatives were crazy.

A family tree is a genealogical diagram. A nut is both a tree seed and a crazy person.

So the expression means that most of your relatives are crazy.

A family tree is a genealogical diagram. A nut is both a tree seed and a crazy person.

So the expression means that most of your relatives are crazy.

I think most people who use the expression mean eccentric rather than crazy.

It can mean crazy. I think all three of those dictionaries have omitted a common use of the term. When I hear someone say their family tree is full of nuts, I do not imagine that a lot of their ancestors and relatives are or were insane. I hear it as a light-hearted way of saying they were charmingly eccentric.

I rarely hear someone say something like "My sister is crazy" to mean their sister suffers from a recognized form of mental illness. It's rarely used in the pathological sense. What you call "charmingly eccentric" my daughter probably calls "batsh*t crazy." Both of you would perhaps laugh when you said it.

Right. It's tongue-in-cheek. My family is nuts. My family is crazy. (It really is! I could tell you stories. . . .)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back