Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I used to put on the mascara in black which made my eyes very shape and bright. If I put on the one in purple. My eyes will look very tired.

Is there a better way to describe "My eyes will look very tired". I know it is a proper English.

Thank you.

That sounds good to me - don't change it. :)

But do remove 'the' from in front of mascara (we use mascara, not the mascara) and change 'shape' to 'well-shaped', 'shapely' or 'sharp', whichever you like best.

Ju.
I have the feeling that "tired" is probably the best word here. You could say that someone looked "weary" or "fatigued" but those terms bring in the idea of them looking tired generally, not just in the eyes. Even "bleary-eyed" is more to do with appearing sleepy rather than just the eyes looking tired. Someone else may have another idea.

not a teacher

Is there a better way to describe "My eyes will look very tired". I know it is a proper English.
That sounds fine to me - I know exactly what you're trying to express.

However, I'm not sure what you mean by this:
I used to put on the mascara in black which made my eyes very shape and bright.
Do you mean "shapely", or "sharp", or something else? As it is, it doesn't make sense.

Ju.
I have the feeling that "tired" is probably the best word here. You could say that someone looked "weary" or "fatigued" but those terms bring in the idea of them looking tired generally, not just in the eyes. Even "bleary-eyed" is more to do with appearing sleepy rather than just the eyes looking tired. Someone else may have another idea.

not a teacher

I am not sure if I understand "My eyes will look very tired". Does it mean that my eyes will look like when I am drunk? The way someone eyes look like when she is drunk? Does the pink mascara cause this?

Your eyes are not tired. It is what you are doing to them that makes them appear tired or look tired.

Something can make my eyes look tired.

Something can make my eyes appear tired looking.

Putting on pink mascara will make your eyes look like you are drunk.

Sorry, an accidental post.

I am not sure if I understand "My eyes will look very tired". Does it mean that my eyes will look like when I am drunk? The way someone eyes look like when she is drunk? Does the pink mascara cause this?

I mean my eyes do not look as sharp as I wore mascara in black.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back