Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Looking for opinions on this sentence. To me it sounds very strange. From what my dictionary tells me, 'bespoke' is used in terms of custom made clothing...Is this usage incorrect?

It sounds informally OK to me. It's clear that the invitations ('invites' itself makes the sentence informal) are individually written and 'tailored' to each guest.

Here's just one of the dictionaries that confirms that 'bespoke' is in use in the modern world in relation to websites and computer software; it's not limited to clothing.

(You mention 'my dictionary'. Have you bookmarked the OneLook Dictionary Search?)

Rover

It sounds informally OK to me. It's clear that the invitations ('invites' itself makes the sentence informal) are individually written and 'tailored' to each guest.

Here's just one of the dictionaries that confirms that 'bespoke' is in use in the modern world in relation to websites and computer software; it's not limited to clothing.

(You mention 'my dictionary'. Have you bookmarked the OneLook Dictionary Search?)

Rover

Cheers. I hadn't seen that website. I normally go to merriam webster.

Note that this is British. I had no idea what it meant (before looking it up).

(Not a Teacher)

I knew what "bespoke" meant but only through my unparalleled erudition. I'd say it's not very common in the US; you're far more likely to see "tailored".

1. Surely they are your engagement party invites/invitations. You don't invite people to an engagement.
2. I find "bespoke" perfectly fine. However, I would probably change the word order somewhat, to "I have decided to order/buy/have bespoke engagement party invitations".

(Not a Teacher)

I knew what "bespoke" meant but only through my unparalleled erudition. I'd say it's not very common in the US; you're far more likely to see "tailored".

But "custom made" or "made-to-order" or similar for anything not clothing.

But "custom made" or "made-to-order" or similar for anything not clothing.

Absolutely. In another part of my life, I run a business writing bespoke murder mysteries.

Looking for opinions on this sentence. To me it sounds very strange. From what my dictionary tells me, 'bespoke' is used in terms of custom made clothing...Is this usage incorrect?

I am very surprised by the definitions given here (BrE) and I wonder about the etymology. In AmE, this word is used rarely, but when it is used it is used as the past tense/past participle of bespeak, with a meaning of indicate/signal or foretell/portend. How convoluted English has become.

(Not a Teacher)

Unparalleled indeed! I'm not ashamed to admit it - I've never heard this word in my life. And I certainly wouldn't have guessed its correct meaning. :-D

(not a teacher, just a language lover)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back