My company's cab got a flat tire on the way to my home.

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Please check my sentences.

1) My company's cab got a flat tire on the way to my home.
2) My company's cab's tyre punctured on the way to my home.
3) My company's cab got a flat while on the way to my home.

Last edited:
2 is wrong because the tire did not do the puncturing. Instead you could say the tire got punctured. 3 is fine in AmE, but I'm not sure how BrE speakers would view it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please check my sentences.

1) My company's cab got a flat tire on the way to my home.
2) My company's cab's tyre punchered on the way to my home.
3) My company's cab got a flat while on the way to my home.
I have several issues/questions:
- Does your company own the cab? If not, then it's not your "company's cab". It's simply a cab that your company pays the fare for.
- Were you in the cab and it was taking you home, or were you waiting at home and the cab was coming to you?
- I thought you'd installed an English spellchecker on your browser (we've been advising you to do so for years). If you had, you'd see a red line under "punchered" to show it's not a word. The noun and associated verb is "puncture".

Please answer those two questions and then I'll try to come up with a natural, grammatical sentence.

I have several issues/questions:
- Does your company own the cab? If not, then it's not your "company's cab". It's simply a cab that your company pays the fare for.
- Were you in the cab and it was taking you home, or were you waiting at home and the cab was coming to you?
- I thought you'd installed an English spellchecker on your browser (we've been advising you to do so for years). If you had, you'd see a red line under "punchered" to show it's not a word. The noun and associated verb is "puncture".

Please answer those two questions and then I'll try to come up with a natural, grammatical sentence.
My company rents cabs for employees. I was in the cab when that happened.
Sorry for that spelling. I am correcting it.

2 is wrong because the tire did not do the puncturing.
I disagree. While that use of "puncture" as an intransitive verb may not be as common as its use as a transitive verb, it's still possible.

See:

I'd say: The cab/taxi that our company hired to send me home had a tyre puncture.

The cab/taxi that our company hired to send me home had a tyre puncture.
That could mean that the cab already had a puncture, before the passenger got picked up.

That could mean that the cab already had a puncture, before the passenger got picked up.
The taxi our company hired to send me home encountered a tyre puncture along the way.

Or got a flat.

My company rents cabs for employees. I was in the cab when that happened.
I wouldn't use "rent" or "hire" for cabs.

The cab my company paid for/booked to take me home got a puncture on the way to my house.

I wouldn't use "rent" or "hire" for cabs.

The cab my company paid for/booked to take me home got a puncture on the way to my house.
To book a taxi is to make a reservation for it. I think it would sound odd to refer to "the taxi I booked" after the journey. I'd just say "the taxi I took". A taxi that you "paid/hired" is also redundant.

To book a taxi is to make a reservation for it. I think it would sound odd to refer to "the taxi I booked" after the journey. I'd just say "the taxi I took". A taxi that you "paid/hired" is also redundant.
In BrE, we frequently refer to the taxi we booked after we travelled in it. It's important in this particular context to make it clear that the company booked and paid for it, not the passenger. I already said that "hire" doesn't work for me.
Also, in BrE, we don't usually say "take a taxi". We say "get a taxi".

I'm going to get a taxi home.
I got a taxi home.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back