Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
Kuwait
Which one is correct

1-My brother Sam is a well-known athlete.

2-My brother ,Sam, is a well-known athlete.

Is using double subjects is wrong as in sentence one ? In sentence two, Is it acceptable to use appositives to add one word "Sam"?

Which one is correct?

1. My brother Sam is a well-known athlete.
2. My brother, Sam, is a well-known athlete.

Is using double subjects is wrong as in sentence one? In sentence two, is it acceptable to use appositives to add one word "Sam"?

Please note my corrections above. Remember that we don't put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.

How many brothers do you have?

Please note my corrections above. Remember that we don't put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.

How many brothers do you have?
Thank you.

I have more than one brother. My teacher told me that it is incorrect to use appositives to add one word, but rather to add "more" information about the noun. I guess it is acceptable to use appositives to specify which brother is an athlete among my brothers.

Last edited:
I don't understand your teacher. Your second sentence is fine and indicates that you have only one brother (Sam).

Reactions: 5jj
Last edited:
Both sentences are correct. You probably mean that which is expressed better by sentence 1.

Are you saying your teacher told you sentence 2 is wrong?

Both sentences are correct. You probably mean that which is expressed better by sentence 1.

Are you saying your teacher told you sentence 2 is wrong?
Thank you.

Yes, he told me that sentence two is wrong since appositives is used to add more information ,not just a word such as "Sam". If both of them are correct, then what is the difference?

Last edited:
I would use sentence #1 if I had more than one brother. I would use sentence #2 if Sam was my only brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back