Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
When someone knows something better and more about my country, Can I say this sentence, You are much more of a Korean than I am?

You are much more of an American than I am ( If I am American and someome from anther country knows more about the U.S.A. Can I say the expression much more of? )

Are there any good expressions? What do you native English speakers think?

I suppose you could say that as a compliment of sorts. If somebody knows more about Korea than you do, maybe you could say, "You're more of a Korean than I am." (I don't how natural it would be for a Korean to say that.) Similarly, if somebody knew more about this country than me, I might say, "You're more of an American than I am." It's certainly possible.

Thank you so much. Can I add much like 'much more' to emphasize the meaning?

Thank you so much. Can I add much like 'much more' to emphasize the meaning?
Yes, if you want to say that to mean "a greater degree".

When someone knows something better and more about my country than I do, can I say this sentence, You are much more of a Korean than I am?

You are much more of an American than I am.
(If I am American and someome someone from another country knows more about the U.S.A. than I do, can I say the expression much more of?)

Are there any other good expressions? What do you native English speakers think?
Whilst the sentences aren't ungrammatical, I don't find them natural with "much more of a/an" at all. I'd expect just "Wow! You're more Korean/American than me!"

Please note my corrections in the quote box. I suggest you install an English spellchecker on your browser. It would have alerted you to basic errors such as "someome" and "anther".

I suggest you install an English spellchecker on your browser. It would have alerted you to basic errors such as "someome" and "anther".

This is generally good advice, except that a spellchecker would have accepted anther as that's a real word.

Likewise students need to be aware that a spellchecker would find no fault with Yew no yore knot aloud too reed allowed inn hear.

You can say "You're much more of a Korean than I am" if you absolutely insist. However, I would consider that overdoing it. Nevertheless, you can say what you want to say.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back