Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I usually go on a trip with my family.,,,,
I usually find out where to go and what to do. If I decide where to go, I discuss with my wife - moving times, public safety, convenience and where to eat. Once we agree on where to go and what we do, reserve air plane tickets and accommodations/accommodation.

Are the underlined parts correct?

Last edited:
Try:

Once we agree on where to go and what to do we reserve airline tickets and accommodations.

Try:

Once we agree on where to go and what to do we reserve airline tickets and accommodations.

Why doesn't "accommodation" work?

Last edited:
Please edit post #3 so that the response comes after the quote box.
:-|

I suppose by "moving times", you mean the times of departure from a place, among others. I would call that "scheduling" or "planinning of the itinerary" for a trip.

I think you mean "safety precautions" when you say "public safety".

"Air plane tickets" is often called "airtickets".

"Accomodation" is both countable and uncountable but I understand it is more often used in the plural form in the US.

In BrE, it's used almost exclusively in the singular.

I usually go on a trip with my family.,,,,

Yet again, what on earth is that string of commas supposed to be? If you're trying to use an ellipsis, you've got it wrong.

There appears to be an American English/British English distinction here. They mean the same thing. Which one you use does, I think, depend on which variant you are studying.

I suppose by "moving times", you mean the times of departure from a place, among others. I would call that "scheduling" or "planinning of the itinerary" for a trip.

I think you mean "safety precautions" when you say "public safety".

"Air plane tickets" is often called "airtickets".

1. I should have written "travel time", doesn't "moving time" work at all?
2. I meant "public order (and security), public peace" in a country. Some countries are labeled as red or warning ones not to visit if there are crimes frequently happening.

Perhaps:

We talk about where we want to go and determine if the place is safe to visit.

1. I should have written "travel time", doesn't "moving time" work at all?
2. I meant "public order (and security), public peace" in a country. Some countries are labeled as red or warning ones not to visit if there are crimes frequently happening.

It is "travelling time" which is something factual. "Moving time" is to do with logistics and shifting.

It is how safe a place is for travelling you are concerned about, not public order or security though they are related. It is also factual and can easily be found out. Related to that are safety precautions to be taken.

Last edited:
It is "travelling time" which is something factual. "Moving time" is to do with logistics and shifting.

It is how safe a place is for travelling you are concerned about, not public order or security though they are related. It is also factual and can easily be found out. Related to that are safety precautions to be taken.

Why can't you use "public safety"? It is defined in a dictionary to mean if the place is safe or not.

Safety of a place for travelling covers all aspects of safety.

Why can't I use "public safety"? It is defined in a dictionary to mean if the place is safe or not.

You are concerned with the safety of you and your family, not the safety of the public.

That's all there is to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back