Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm trying to improve my writing. So I write this paragraph on moving in. Did I write it correctly? Thank you.

Don't hurry. Moving is stressful, and it is best to give it enough time to not delay until the last minute. Before moving out, make sure your new home is ready and does not require any kind of repairs, so you don't need to take trouble. And if you didn't finish the rehabilitation, it is better to postpone the time of moving. Otherwise, the pressure on you will be much more.

I've corrected it, but I'm not sure yet!

Don't hurry. Moving is stressful, and it is better to give enough time to not delay until the last second. Before moving in, make sure your new home is ready, and it doesn't need any kind of repairs. So you don't have to take trouble. If the rehabilitation isn't finished, it will be better to postpone the time of moving. Otherwise, the pressure on you will be much more.

I'm trying to improve my writing. So I wrote this paragraph about moving into an apartment or house. Did I write it correctly? Thank you.

Don't hurry. Moving is stressful, and it is best to give it enough time to not delay until the last minute. Before moving out, make sure your new home is ready and does not require any kind of repairs, so you don't need to take trouble. And if you didn't finish the rehabilitation, it is better to postpone the time of moving. Otherwise, the pressure on you will be much more.

The first sentence needs an exclamation mark. For the second sentence, try:

Moving is stressful, and it is best not to wait until the last minute.

There might not be much of a choice as to the moving date. Suppose you have sold your house?

I've corrected it, but I'm not sure yet!

Don't hurry! Moving is stressful, and it is best not to wait until the last minute. Before moving in, make sure your new home is ready, and it doesn't need any kind of repairs.

So far so good. (Thankfully, you didn't put "Thanks in advance" in that post.)

Can I say "Moving is stressful so be sure that you give yourself enough time to not leaving everything until the last minute." for the second sentence?

Don't hurry! Moving is stressful so be sure that you give yourself enough time to not leaving everything until the last minute. Before moving in, make sure your new home is ready, and it doesn't need any kind of repairs. In this case, you don't have to take the trouble. If the rehabilitation hasn't finished yet, it will be better to postpone the time of moving. Otherwise, the pressure on you will be much more.

I've changed it a little, and I guess it became much better. Can I say "If the rehabilitation hasn't finished yet", instead of "If the rehabilitation isn't finished"?

What is the difference between "on moving into..." and "about moving into..."?
I thought "on" and "about" can have the same meaning!

Can I say "Moving is stressful, so be sure that you give yourself enough time to not leaving everything until the last minute." for the second sentence?

Two things. One, that's a horrible sentence. Two, what's wrong with my suggestion?

What is the difference between "on moving into..." and "about moving into..."? I thought "on" and "about" could have the same meaning.

Do what you wish. I made a couple of suggestions. Perhaps somebody will agree with you. (Who knows?)

There's nothing wrong with your suggestion. As I said before, I just want to improve my writing. I asked because I wanted to learn why this sentence is horrible, and why that one is good. I'm not a native speaker, and Grammar is a little difficult for me.

There's nothing wrong with your suggestion. As I said before, I just want to improve my writing. I asked because I wanted to learn why this sentence is horrible, and why that one is good. I'm not a native speaker, and grammar is a little difficult for me.

Making corrections is easy. At least it's easy compared to other things. It's fairly easy to tell what works and what doesn't. It's even pretty easy to make suggestions. What can be hard is explaining things. You do better when you write shorter sentences.

Maybe somebody else will have more comments.

Can I say "Moving is stressful so be sure that you give yourself enough time to not leaving everything until the last minute." for the second sentence?

The part in blue doesn't add anything useful to the sentence, and serves only to make the sentence unnecessarily long and confusing.

The part in red is ungrammatical because the verb should be in the infinitive form, with not preceding to.

You can correct it like this:

Moving is stressful so be sure not to leave everything until the last minute.

What is the difference between "on moving into..." and "about moving into..."?

Well, one string of words uses on and the other uses about. I don't see where this question comes from. Why are you asking this? How are you planning to use these words?

I thought "on" and "about" can have the same meaning!

Absolutely not! Different prepositions have different uses and different meanings.

Making corrections is easy. At least it's easy compared to other things. It's fairly easy to tell what works and what doesn't. It's even pretty easy to make suggestions. What can be hard is explaining things. You do better when you write shorter sentences.

Maybe somebody else will have more comments.

Maybe it's easy for you! Don't compare yourself to me. :!:
We all are here to teach and learn.

Well, one string of words uses on and the other uses about. I don't see where this question comes from. Why are you asking this? How are you planning to use these words?

Absolutely not! Different prepositions have different uses and different meanings.

This research highlights the need for clear, or clearer, calorie labelling, whether it's on food packaging in a supermarket or in a fast food restaurant. Many people are obviously not aware of how unhealthy and fattening certain foods can be; and you can't blame them, as some fast food options are even dubbed as healthy, when they're far from it.

I was reading an article, and I've found this part. I thought on can have the same meaning as about. Am I wrong?

This research highlights the need for clear, or clearer, calorie labelling, whether it's on food packaging in a supermarket or in a fast food restaurant.

I was reading an article, and I've found this part. I thought on can have the same meaning as about. Am I wrong?

Only on is correct there. The food labels are printed on the packaging, to be read by the consumer.

I think you may be thinking about uses to do with the topic of a particular piece of discourse. For example:

I have a book on the Second World War.
I have a book about the Second World War.

The meanings/uses of the prepositions in the example sentences above are not exactly the same, but they are similar in that they say what the topic of the book is.

Maybe it's easy for you! Don't compare yourself to me. :!:
We all are here to teach and learn.

Well, yes. Everything is relative. (I could have said "easy for me," but that would have required more typing. :) )

Last edited:
This research highlights the need for clear, or clearer, calorie labelling, whether it's on food packaging in a supermarket or in a fast food restaurant. Many people are obviously not aware of how unhealthy and fattening certain foods can be; and you can't blame them, as some fast food options are even dubbed as healthy, when they're far from it.

I was reading an article, and I saw this. I thought "on" can have the same meaning as "about". Am I wrong?

Generally speaking, it makes sense to say you found something if you were in fact looking for something. (I recently found something on the internet, and I had, in fact, been looking for it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back