Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi there. Would you please proofread the following text? Any help would be appreciated.

Time, as it does, moved ever onward, and Lanhua, now ten, continued to dream of things to come, ordinary things, mostly benign things, though a few times of minor accidents or natural occurrences that resulted in injury. One particular set of dreams was not so insignificant.

These dreams began with a tiny new star; in each dream that followed, the star seemed bigger. In the final dream/vision, Lanhua is holding a child on the top of a mountain, looking at the night sky; she feels taller, and she wonders if the child is hers.

The star had now become a group of stars. Lanhua speaks to the child she is holding along with a few others she only senses are there. “It’s good that we are leaving now. Tomorrow night they will bring fire and destruction, but they will not bring our deaths.”

The dream ends as her brother puts his daughter on Moogh’s back. Yang says. “Come on, old friend, we can come back in a few days”.

Lanhua did not tell her mother about the dreams. At first, when she realised they were prophetic, she became too scared, but the final vision calmed her, and so she told her mother. Jingying said. “You, we, might have to reveal to the village at some point that you have prophetic dream/visions; otherwise, they may not believe you when they need to later.” Lanhua just nodded, she somehow knew such secrets must eventually come out.

Hi there. Would you please proofread the following text? Any help would be appreciated.

Time, as it does, moved ever onward, (As time passed), [STRIKE]and [/STRIKE]Lanhua, now ten, continued to dream of things to come (things that would happen in the future), ordinary things, mostly benign (harmless) things, though a few [STRIKE]times of[/STRIKE] minor accidents [STRIKE]or natural occurrences[/STRIKE][STRIKE] that[/STRIKE] resulted in injury. However, one particular set of dreams was not so insignificant.

These dreams began with a tiny new star; in each dream that followed, the star seemed (became?) bigger. In the final dream/vision, Lanhua is holding a child on the top of a mountain, looking at the night sky; she feels taller, and she wonders if the child is hers.
Why mix the past and present tense here?

The star had now become a group of stars (how?). Lanhua speaks to the child she is holding along with a few others she only senses are there. “It’s good that we are leaving now. Tomorrow night they will bring fire and destruction, but they will not bring [STRIKE]our[/STRIKE] us deaths.”

The dream ends as her brother puts his daughter on Moogh’s back. Yang says. “Come on, old friend, we can come back in a few days”.

Lanhua did not tell her mother about the dreams. At first, when she realised they were prophetic, she became too scared, but the final vision calmed her, and so she told her mother. Jingying said. “[STRIKE]You, we,[/STRIKE] We might have to reveal to the village at some point that you have had prophetic dream/visions; otherwise, they may not believe you when they need to later.” Lanhua just nodded; she somehow knew such secrets must eventually come out.

I think the underlined parts need to be rephrased. I do not understand why you have mixed the present and past tenses.

I think the underlined parts need to be rephrased. I do not understand why you have mixed the present and past tenses.

As for the sentence "In the final dream/vision, Lanhua is holding a child on the top of a mountain, looking at the night sky; she feels taller, and she wonders if the child is hers", I think the present tense here can make the story more vivid by projecting readers to 'the present' in the past. I mean: By using the present tense, I try to make you feel something seems to happen before your eyes. It's the same with "Time, as it does, moved ever onward", the present tense here shows the property of time. It moves onward forever.

Also, for "You, we..." here it just shows the speaker changed her mind. At first, she thought her daughter might have to reveal... Then she realized her daughter was just ten years old and could not do that thing alone. So that's the reason why it was written in that way.

By the way, what's the difference between 'things to come' and 'that things would happen in the future'?

Last edited:
As for the sentence "In the final dream/vision, Lanhua is holding a child on the top of a mountain, looking at the night sky; she feels taller, and she wonders if the child is hers", I think the present tense here can make the story more vivid by projecting readers to 'the present' in the past. I mean: By using the present tense, I try to make you feel something seems to happen before your eyes. It's the same with "Time, as it does, moved ever onward", the present tense here shows the property of time. It moves onward forever.

I know it is fine to use the present tense in a narrative, but your paragraph started with the simple past tense and changed to the present tense in the second sentence.

Also, for "You, we..." here it just shows the speaker changed her mind. At first, she thought her daughter might have to reveal... Then she realized her daughter was just ten years old and could not do that thing alone. So that's the reason why it was written in that way.

Okay, the speaker paused and was being hesitant when she spoke. Maybe you could add an ellipsis "You...we...".

By the way, what's the difference between 'things to come' and 'that things would happen in the future'?

The latter is a better description of a prophecy, which it was meant to be.

Time, as it does, moved ever onward,
dream of things to come
the star seemed bigger

I see nothing wrong with those.

I didn't say they are wrong but I think they could be better phrased, especially the first one, which doesn't mean anything to me. It is subjective of course.

Couldn't you replace "not so insignificant" with "more meaningful"?

Time, as it does, moved ever onward,

To me, it is like saying:

The sun, as it does, rises in the east.
The earth is round.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back