Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

Is what I have written correct and natural?

Snow-clad mountains rise high into the hazy sky, casting a shadow on the smoggy sprawl of Shiraz (the name of a city).

How can I put emphasis on how dirty and polluted the sky is?

It's fine. Smoggy sprawl is good.

The ultimate gloomy mountain descriptions are in The Lord of the Rings.

It's fine. Smoggy sprawl is good.

The ultimate gloomy mountain descriptions are in The Lord of the Rings.

Would that "shadow" part work if the mountains are to the north of the city? I mean since the sun rises from the east. I think during the middle of the day, the sun goes behind the mountains.

Would that "shadow" part work if the mountains are to the north of the city? I mean since the sun rises from the east. I think during the middle of the day, the sun goes behind the mountains.
North of the equator, the sun tracks south, right? So mountains north of Shiraz won't cast a shadow on the town.

Are you thinking of moving mountains around? Try Photoshop!

North of the equator, the sun tracks south, right? So mountains north of Shiraz won't cast a shadow on the town.

Are you thinking of moving mountains around? Try Photoshop!

We have a scientific problem here. You are right. The sun rises from east, goes to south and disappears in west.

So, how can I mention mountains to the north?

Snow-clad mountains rise high into the hazy sky, casting a shadow on the smoggy sprawl of Shiraz (the name of a city).

I mean, I need to say something that would make sense instead of the underlined part.

If they're to the north, their shadows will fall away from the city, not toward it.

Sorry.

Why not just have a city whose mountains are south?

If they're to the north, their shadows will fall away from the city, not toward it.

Sorry.

Why not just have a city whose mountains are south?

Okay, what about this. Is it good?

Snow-clad mountains rise high into the hazy sky, towering over the smoggy sprawl of Shiraz.

Excellent!
:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back