Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Excuse me professor, I'm writing for the first time a motivation letter. Please, can you read it and give me bits of advice on how to improve it?

"Dear Prof. XXX,

My name is XXX and I am writing to you regarding your offer for a PhD student position.

I graduated in Biology in February 2018, and I did my thesis project at the XXX, supervised by Dr XXX. In my two-years training in that lab, I was involved in a research project on breast cancer, in order to identify new therapeutic targets for more effective pharmacological treatment of endocrine therapy-resistant tumours. Hence, I developed strong techniques in molecular and cellular biology, as well as the ability to follow detailed protocols. This experience gave me a taste of the real-life challenges faced by researcher and helped me to realize that I am interested in understanding the molecular mechanisms implicated in a disease, as it will help in the development of targeted treatment.
I wish to continue my academic career with a PhD in Molecular Medicine, and I am looking for a laboratory where I can improve my skills, expand my knowledge and grow professionally in this field.
I was always captivated with cell complexity and how it works, so my intellectual curiosity and passion for asking questions is what drives me to join your team and to take part in your project: I am really keen to develop my knowledge in this area and working on how stem cells can be potentially therapeutic for us.
I really like to work in a team because I think that collaboration is necessary to achieve goals.
I am also able to independently organize my work and adhere to deadlines, as my supervisor can confirm.

As requested I’m enclosing my CV, where you can find details information on my experiences and skills.

I hope you will consider my application favourably, and look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Sincerely,

XXX"

(I'll leave the correction to other members.)
I hope some day you'll eliminate cancer from the earth. Good luck!:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back