Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi dear teachers.
"Please share, one second of your look can help a mother get her son back."

Is the above context grammatically correct? I came across it from an ad on facebook. Shoun't "get" be "getting"?

Hi dear teachers.

Is the above context grammatically correct? I came across it from an ad on facebook. Shoun't "get" be "getting"?

"Get her son back" is fine, but "one second of your look" is not.

One could say: "Please take a second to look at this page and help a mother get her son back".

Hi dear teachers.

That's not a context. It's your example sentence. The context you've given I've labelled in red.

I got the point. Hello Raymott, would you please help me to understand whether what a context is? Although I know what context means, I still get confused about the difference between context and sentence. That is why I always make mistakes.

I got the point. Hello Raymott, would you please help me to understand whether what a context is? Although I know what context means, I still get confused about the difference between context and sentence. That is why I always make mistakes.
Your example sentence, or the sentence you want help with is not the context. The context is anything else that is relevant to the sentence that might help us answer the question. Context here means the context of your question.
Context can include the rest of the paragraph in which the sentence was found (i.e. the grammatical and semantic context), why you are asking the question, where you found the question, etc.

Here are some examples. The question is in blue, the example sentence (always quoted) is in green, and the context is in red:
Is this sentence right? "I think your clever." The reason I ask is that I wrote it in an essay and my teacher has marked it wrong, but I can't see anything wrong with it.

Does this sentence make sense? "We are such stuff as dreams are made on." I think it should be "made of". The sentence comes from The Tempest by William Shakespeare. Here is the whole sentence: “We are such stuff as dreams are made on, and our little life is rounded with a sleep.”

Last edited:
Very clear :up:. I am sure I won't make mistakes and get confused in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back