Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Can a married couple call each other 'Mother' / 'Father'? Is it usual ?

Can 'mother' be replaced with 'mom'?

Is 'Father dear' okay, but 'dear Father' is wrong when it comes to addressing between a married couple?

In Peter Pan by J. M Barrie, Mr and Mrs Darling call each other Mother/Father. I asked this because it's a fiction, and it was written more than 100 years ago.

“How wildly we romped!” says Mrs. Darling now, recalling it.
“Our last romp!” Mr. Darling groaned.
“0 George, do you remember Michael suddenly said to me, ‘How did you
get to know me, mother?’ ”
“I remember!”
“They were rather sweet, don’t you think, George?”
“And they were ours, ours! and now they are gone.”

“0 George, do you remember Michael suddenly said to me, ‘How did you
get to know me, mother
?’

Can a married couple call each other 'Mother' / 'Father'? Is it usual[no space]?

Michael is her son, not her husband.

Can 'mother' be replaced with 'mom'?

Yes, and either one should be capitalized when used as a name.

Is 'Father dear' okay, but 'dear Father' is wrong when it comes to addressing between a married couple?

Neither is good.

In Peter Pan by J. M Barrie, Mr and Mrs Darling call each other Mother and Father.

Where I live, it's common among older couples.

I asked this because it's a fiction, and it was written more than a hundred years ago.
Yes, languages change over time. I think that custom is dying out.

The Darlings would have considered addressing each other as Mother and Father as distinctly lower class. I can't recall ever meeting a couple who addressed each other like that but you will find it in representations of working class life in British films from the 40s and 50s.

The Darlings would have considered addressing each other as Mother and Father as distinctly lower class. I can't recall ever meeting a couple who addressed each other like that but you will find it in representations of working class life in British films from the 40s and 50s.

This is very similar to that in China, especially in the northern rural areas in some Chinese films.:-D

Some Chinese couples call each other 'Chidren's Father/Mother', 'His/Her Father' , 'His/Her Mother'.

Last edited:
It sounds a bit weird to some. Vice President Mike Pence calls his wife Mother. To be honest, this is the only case I can think of.

Parents sometimes call each other "Mummy" and "Daddy" when they're speaking about/to each other in front of young children.

Dad (at the dinner table, where all three are eating): Tarquin, please would you ask Mummy to pass me the salt? (He wouldn't use his wife's/partner's first name there.)

Tarquin: Mummy, can I stay up late tonight?
Mum: Daddy, do you think we should let Tarquin stay up late tonight? (She wouldn't use her husband's/partner's first name there.)

This can be done so as not to confuse the child because the child knows its parents as "Mummy and Daddy", not as "Mike and Jane". It can also be used to reinforce the use of language, reminding the child that those are the terms he/she uses to address his/her parents.

... and I think she called him 'Rex'.

I occasionally still hear older couples call each other 'mother/father'. I think it was fairly common a few generations ago, but rare nowadays.

I occasionally still hear older couples call each other 'mother/father'. I think it was fairly common a few generations ago, but rare nowadays.
Yup. That's what I meant.

And cultural- the British barbers I use when in the UK, of Turkish heritage, call me uncle because I am sufficiently older than them. One said Uncle, I can make you look younger. He did, but he did make me feel my age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back