Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It seems to me that the first "data" is redundant and can be removed without harming the clarity and the meaning of the phrase.

What is your opinion?
=====================
India’s Covid-19 mortality data higher than official data: Lancet report

India has so far reported over four million cases of the coronavirus
The Government of India has vouched for India’s high recovery rate that, according to the health ministry, stands at around 77 per cent. However, health experts mentioned in the Lancet report are doubtful of the figures presented by the government.

Source: Business Line
https://www.thehindubusinessline.co...ficial-data-lancet-report/article32534401.ece

The actual death figures are higher than the official reported figures due to underreporting.

Yes and yes.
But you've not answered my question.

The word "mortality" itself can mean "the number of deaths" and so there is no need to use "data" to follow it when you later use "offcial data" to compare with it.

Yes and yes.
But you've not answered my question.

The word "mortality" itself can mean "the number of deaths" and so there is no need to use "data" to follow it when you later use "offcial data" to compare with it.

No, the word "mortality" refers to "the state of being mortal:, not necessarily the "number". So it should be followed by "number/figure/data".

Yes, GoodTaste, I completely agree with you. The point is that the mortality is higher, not the data on the mortality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back