Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Philippines
Please have a look if my sentences are OK or need to be reformulated.

Flirting in Manila is much more fun than in Europe. Once you give a smile to a Manila girl at a shopping mall or so for no reason or to start a little flirt, she will smile back twice as much, whereas in Berlin or London they would make a face like you were an intrusive used-car dealer.

Please have a look if my sentences are OK or need to be reformulated.

Flirting in some cities is much more fun than in others. In some cities, once you [STRIKE]give a[/STRIKE] smile [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] at a girl/boy at a shopping mall, [STRIKE]or so[/STRIKE] for no particular reason or to start flirting a little, [STRIKE]flirt,[/STRIKE] she/he will smile back twice as much. In some other cities, they would make a face at you [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] as if you were an intrusive used-car dealer.

See above.

I have edited and corrected your post so that it does not make sweeping stereotypical statements about people in particular cities. I have also added "boy" and "he" in - you need to remember that flirting works in many ways, not just males flirting with females.

I think that removing the city names removes much of the message. However, there is a place (or several places) for such qualifications as "usually" or "in my experience".

I'd keep the names of the cities.

OK, but with the names of the cities, I'd suggest starting with something like "In my opinion" or "I have found that" to avoid it appearing to be a statement of fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back