Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
“The yields on two-, three- and five-year Treasury bonds perked up as money markets began to price in the prospect that the Federal Reserve would raise interest rates in 2023.” [from The Economist]
I think the word “price” acts as a verb in this sentence. From the Dictionary.Cambridge, when it acts as a verb, it means below. But neither of them fit in the above sentence. Please help explain what does “price” mean.
1.to discover how much something costs
2.to say what the price of something is

"Price in" in the context means "take into consideration" or "factor in".

Last edited by a moderator:
Saraj Zhou, please note that I have changed your thread title. Titles should be unique and relevant to the thread, and should include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you are asking us about. Your original title, "what", was of no use at all.

Last edited:
Saraj, you don't appear to have found the 'Thank' and 'Like' buttons yet.

They're in the bottom left-hand corner of every post (except your own).

Clicking on one of them means you don't have to write a new post to show your appreciation of our replies.

I know there are 'Thank' and 'Like' buttons and I have tried clicking it many times. But it didn't works.

I know. I posted it accidentally (by clicking the "enter") when I hadn't finished it.
And I wanted to change the title but I didn't know how.

I know there are 'Thank' and 'Like' buttons and I have tried clicking them many times. But they don't work.
Fair enough. That does seem to happen sometimes. :-?

Please keep trying, and in the meantime you can click Settings, then Edit Signature. Type in the box I am unable to use the 'Thank' and 'Like' buttons.

This will appear every time you post and will remind us.

And I wanted to change the title but I didn't know how.

For the first 24 hours after you post, you can change the title. Click on "Edit Post", then "Go Advanced", change the title, then click "Save".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back