Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Israel
Since, surprisingly, I am note able to find an explanation of this term in any dictionary or online resource (I am able to find only many instances of it), I would be very glad if someone could explain what the term "model statue" means. Here is en example:

Harvard criteria in 1968 by an ad hoc committee on brain death at Harvard Medical School. These criteria described determination of a condition known as “irreversible coma,” “cerebral death,” or brain death.Since the initial introduction of these criteria, the Uniform Determination of Death Act, promulgated in 1980 and supported by the President’s Commission for the Study of Ethical Problems in Medicine and Biomedical and Behavioral Research, has served as a model statute for the adoption of state legislation that defines death.

Thanks in advance!

Since, surprisingly, I am note able to find an explanation of this term in any dictionary or online resource (I am able to find only many instances of it), I would be very glad if someone could explain what the term "model statue" means. Here is en example:

Harvard criteria in 1968 by an ad hoc committee on brain death at Harvard Medical School. These criteria described determination of a condition known as “irreversible coma,” “cerebral death,” or brain death.Since the initial introduction of these criteria, the Uniform Determination of Death Act, promulgated in 1980 and supported by the President’s Commission for the Study of Ethical Problems in Medicine and Biomedical and Behavioral Research, has served as a model statute for the adoption of state legislation that defines death.

Thanks in advance!
The Uniform Determination of Death act 1980, is a statute (presumably federal) which serves as a model for state legislation.

Thanks in advance!
It's not a term. It's two ordinary words put together.
A statute is a law, pretty much.
We say that something is a "model X" if it an exceptionally good X that could be used as a model for future Xs, or can be pointed to as an excellent example of an X.
He is a model student. He learns well, and never misbehaves.
('Model student' has become something akin to an idiom).
He's the model husband. He works all day, and gives me his paycheck at the end of the week.

Thank you both. I know that the meaning of the expression is as explained by bhaisahab:

The Uniform Determination of Death act 1980, is a statute (presumably federal) which serves as a model for state legislation.

What is not clear to me is the legal status of a model statute. Is it just a draft which can then be adopted or rejected as a 'real' statute or a law by states if they wish to adopt it, or is it more than that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back