Modal verbs: What is difference among CERTAINTY, PROBABILITY, DEDUCTION, POSSIBILITY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tae-Bbong-E

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I am confused by the definitions such as CERTAINTY, PROBABILITY, DEDUCTION, POSSIBILITY.
Could you help me to understand?

Also "would" can be used to express CERTAINTY, PROBABILITY, DEDUCTION, POSSIBILITY.?
Because grammar books don't mention "would" in section of deduction. Generally they say "must, can/can't, should, ought to..." However I've seen the following link; https://medium.com/@gmbley/modal-verbs-levels-of-certainty-ba14047dd134

Last edited:
I'm sure
I'm positive
I guess
I reckon

Where do you stand on these?

I am confused by the definitions such as CERTAINTY, PROBABILITY, DEDUCTION, POSSIBILITY.

Yes, these notions are very difficult to understand.

Could you help me to understand?

Yes, but you will have to give us some sentences to look at. Please make sure you don't make them up yourself, and that you give us no more than two sentences per thread.

Yes, these notions are very difficult to understand.

Yes, but you will have to give us some sentences to look at. Please make sure you don't make them up yourself, and that you give us no more than two sentences per thread.

Okay, since I want to get a proper answer from you, I think I need to open a new question with example sentences from grammar books or some other education websites.

Before we go further, look the words up. There's a possibility that a dictionary will help.

After you've looked them up, tell us your deductions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back