Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Would you please correct my mistakes in the following sentences.

Michael went to the countryside for a short holiday. When he arrived, he stood in front of the cornfields swaying in the breeze. Birds chirped from the nearby trees, and cats dozed on the porches. This is what I needed, he said to himself. He breathed the air scented with wild flowers and trees and felt free, liberated from the noise, pollution and traffic jams of the city. His steps felt lighter. He didn't need to push his way though the crowded streets. His telephone was switched off and now his eyes soaked up the beautiful scenery, instead of staring at the small flat screen. They darted from one balcony adorned with flowers to another, from church spire to charming house facades, from well-trimmed gardens to orchards sagging with fruit. The passersby nodded to him and greeted him, looking him straight into his eyes. What a difference this was to the people in the city who often avoided each other's eyes, especially when you were on the bus or underground! If you tried to talk to someone, people would believe there was something wrong with you. The drive took Michael just about half an hour, and look, he was on another planet. It dawned on him how little you needed to be happy.

Would you please correct my mistakes in the following sentences.

Michael went to the countryside for a short holiday. When he arrived, he stood [STRIKE]in front of the[/STRIKE] watching the cornfields swaying in the breeze. Birds chirped from [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE]nearby trees, and cats dozed on [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE]porches. This is what I needed, he said to himself. He breathed the air scented with wild flowers and trees and he felt free, liberated from the noise, pollution and traffic jams of the city. His steps felt lighter. He didn't need to push his way though the crowded streets. His telephone was switched off and now his eyes soaked up the beautiful scenery, instead of staring at the small flat screen. They darted from one balcony adorned with flowers to another, from church spires to charming house facades, from well-trimmed gardens to orchards sagging with fruit. The passersby nodded to him and greeted him, looking him straight [STRIKE]into his eyes[/STRIKE] in the eye. What a difference this was [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] from the people in the city who often avoided each other's eyes, especially [STRIKE]when you were[/STRIKE] on the bus or underground! If you tried to talk to someone, people would believe there was something wrong with you. The drive [STRIKE]took[/STRIKE] had taken Michael just about half an hour, and look, it was as if he was on another planet. It dawned on him how little [STRIKE]you needed[/STRIKE] one needs to be happy.

See my suggested changes above. I like your piece. It made me feel very peaceful (and made me want to jump in the car and drive out to the countryside!)

cornfields swaying in the breeze

the air scented with wild flowers and trees
Those don't work for me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on the bus or the Underground!

If you tried to [STRIKE]talk[/STRIKE] strike up a conversation with someone, [STRIKE]people[/STRIKE] they would [STRIKE]believe[/STRIKE] think there was something wrong with you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
It dawned on him how little [STRIKE]you needed[/STRIKE] one needs in order to be happy.
This is an example of when the use of "in order to" is preferable to just "to". Do you see why?

teechar,
With respect, I don't understand why the above sentences do not work for you. To my ear they sound OK. I can imagine cornfields swaying or moving in the breeze. Likewise, I can smell the air scented with wild flowers and trees. But I am not a native speaker, so you are probably right.
Regarding the use of "in order", I'll be honest and say that I do not know why is "in order to" preferable to just "to," although I can read the definition in my dictionary.

1 - I can't imagine a field swaying in the breeze.

2 - I suspect you intended "with the scent of wild flowers and trees". The original is not natural.

3- Consider "It's amazing how little one needs to be happy". This can mean being happy is not very important.

Could I say this?

When he arrived, he stood in front of the fields, watching cornstalks swaying in the breeze.

That's much better. You can even say "the cornstalks". Do you know the difference?

If I say "the cornstalks", I believe that means they are specific cornstalks he is watching. If I write just "cornstalks" that can mean any cornstalks. Am I right?

Yes, "the cornstalks" means those in the fields, and just "cornstalks" means some/any cornstalks. In the above, "the" is optional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back