Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
HI,
What is the meaning of that sentence, "[FONT=&quot]That's one less person I'm not speaking to."?
[/FONT]

That's a tricky one. The person quoted was previously refusing to speak to five people. Then something changed; now, the person is refusing to speak to only four people. (I made up the number of people to illustrate the point.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, but I did not get it.
There are two persons, the one who is talking, and the one intended.
So, as you are saying the sentence means that he talks with him normally now?

I do not think that what the sentence means.
Here is the whole dialog, it is quoted from a movie.
"[FONT=&quot]PATRICIA: Did you push it? - Yeah. Yes, I pushed it. I'm so late. Random House fired Dick Atkins. Good riddance. Murray Chilton died. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]That's one less person I'm not speaking to[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Hurry! Hurry! Hurry! Uch! Vince got a great review."[/FONT]

Unfortunately, I did not understand.
- Is there a relation between the death of Murray and refusing to talk to him? I mean, if Murray is still alive, would not the sentence have the same meaning?
- Why is the sentence is in present continuous if Murray is already dead?

On Monday, the speaker says "I'm not speaking to five people." Murray dies on Tuesday. On Wednesday, the speaker could say "Last week I wasn't speaking to five people. Now I'm not speaking to four people. That makes one less person I'm currently not speaking to."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back