Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The following conversation was between me and Helen in a chat room.

Helen: Kunming never snows, you know, it's called "spring city". Every season is like spring. But last year, it did snow.

Silver: Maybe it's because of the climate change, we've seen more and more extreme weather now.

I wonder if the italic sentence is natural. If not, may I ask for your version?

Silver: Maybe it's because of the climate change. We've seen more and more extreme weather now recently.

"Climate change" is uncountable so don't use an article with it.
In that context, the present perfect doesn't work with "now". Either use it with "recently" or use the present continuous with "now".

Also,

1- We say "It never snows in + [place name]".
2- There is a comma splice error in that sentence.
Kunming never snows, you know. It's called "spring city".

Kunming never snows, you know. It's called "spring city".
You have ignored what teechar told you: We say "It never snows in + [place name]".

You have ignored what teechar told you: We say "It never snows in + [place name]".
Well, I know that. I didn't change it because I wanted to correct that "comma splice" mistake. Sorry, I'll correct the whole mistakes next time.

Because "mistake" is countable you can't use "whole" as an adjectival modifier of it. Either of these will work:

I'll correct the whole thing.
I'll correct all the mistakes.

Several cities around the world claim to have "eternal spring". Guadalajara is one of them, and in their case the claim is bogus, but most of Mexico's central plateau qualifies pretty well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back