Member Type
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Dear English teachers and not only,

Could you please advise what exactly is meant by "vision" in the next lines, "a dream" or "a view of a world"? In the case of "view" these lines must wish to have a real world where every neighbour is a friend rather than a beautiful dream about such a world.

Happy new year
Happy new year
May we all have a vision now and then
Of a world where every neighbour is a friend

ABBA - Happy New Year

How do you make the distinction? I guess "a dream" is the suitable meaning here, and not "a view" because it is a song, a poetry, it is not like this sentence:

I had only a momentary vision of the sea while climbed the mountain.

Yet, to wish real world that is so much friendly is even more good wishing, so "view" meaning can even be more suitable for this piece of poetry. I therefore decided to clarify with you the real meaning.

Thanks.

I had only a momentary [STRIKE]vision[/STRIKE] view of the sea while [STRIKE]climbed[/STRIKE] climbing the mountain.
In the song, vision is metaphorical, not literal. It could be replaced by "dream" with little difference in meaning.

"Vision" doesn't work in the sample sentence. I've corrected it above.

Dreams usually happen when one is asleep (although "I have a dream" refers to a desire, not a sleeping dream), but a vision usually happens when one is awake.

It doesn't have to mean one or the other—it means both.

When you have a dream (whether the 'sleep' kind or the 'wish' kind), it counts as a vision because you necessarily see in your mind's eye the thing you're thinking of. That's the case here. It's a view of the world you wish to come true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back