Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, everybody. Here comes my question from a test:
–Happy birthday!
–Thank you! It’s the best present I ______ for.
A. may have wished B. could have wished
B is said to be the key. I know a little about both options that "may have done" and "could have done" can both function as speculation about something that happened in the past. So, I would like to know how you differ them from each other? What about "might have done"?

Of all the possible presents it was possible for me to have wished for, this was the best.

Only "could" works. It's a set phrase.

B is (marked as) the right answer. said to be the key.
It is the right answer.
I know a little about both options that "may have done" and "could have done" can both function as speculation about something that happened in the past.
That's correct.
So, I would like to know how you differentiate them from each other?
In that kind of sentence, "may" is used for possibility.
He may have hoped for a better present, but he only got a t-shirt in the end.
This sentence says:
Maybe/perhaps he was hoping to get a better present, but he only got a t-shirt.
We use "may" or "might" (not "could") for that kind of situation.
-------------------------------------------------
When we say "... he could have hoped for", we are talking about ability.
Example:
Tom had an old car that was only worth $4000-$4500, and he wanted to sell it. He found a buyer who really liked the car, and the buyer offered him $5,000. We say:
Tom was lucky to get $5,000 for his car. He couldn't have hoped for a better price.
---------------
Do you see the difference now?
What about "might have done"?
Same as "may". See above.

It is the right answer.

That's correct.

In that kind of sentence, "may" is used for possibility.
He may have hoped for a better present, but he only got a t-shirt in the end.
This sentence says:
Maybe/perhaps he was hoping to get a better present, but he only got a t-shirt.
We use "may" or "might" (not "could") for that kind of situation.
-------------------------------------------------
When we say "... he could have hoped for", we are talking about ability.
Example:
Tom had an old car that was only worth $4000-$4500, and he wanted to sell it. He found a buyer who really liked the car, and the buyer offered him $5,000. We say:
Tom was lucky to get $5,000 for his car. He couldn't have hoped for a better price.
---------------
Do you see the difference now?

Same as "may". See above.
Thank you so much for your correction, and your detailed explanation really makes sense.
Could you please make further introduction over "would have done"?
I really appreciated it if you could share some articles over the detailed usage of modal verb if you have.
Deep thanks to you again.

Thank you so much for your corrections, and your detailed explanation really makes sense.
Could you please make further introduction over give me more information about "would have done"?
I would really appreciated appreciate it if you could share some articles over about the detailed usage of modal verbs, if you have any.
Deep thanks to you again. Unnecessary.
Note my corrections above. That's really too much to ask of the forum. If you want to study modal verbs in detail, find a good grammar website or use a good textbook.

"would have done"
If you have a particular sentence in mind, start a new thread and tell us where you got the sentence from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back