Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I just found that both of them were words. Is there any difference or just different spelling?? Which one is BrE, which is AmE?? Thanks:)

I just found that both of them were words. Is there any difference or just different spelling?? Which one is BrE, which is AmE?? Thanks:)

The British (i.e. the correct;-)) way is with the double l

***** NOT a teacher *****

Pinbong,

As you know the English people developed the marvelous English

language, so they deserve our highest respect, honor, and

gratitude.

I most respectfully suggest that you might consider adopting

American spellings. I believe that it would be most helpful for

your career. I have no proof, but I am guessing that most

writing in English nowadays prefers color, license, canceled,

jail, etc., instead of colour, licence, cancelled, gaol, etc.

We are living in a fast moving global economy in which the

United States (and your country) are major players. Some people

gently and humbly suggest that American English may possibly

fit in better with today's environment.

P. S. The gentle and friendly disagreement over English spelling

is a little like the gentle and friendly disagreement here in the

United States: Should American students be taught to write

Chinese characters using "traditional" characters or the

"simplified" characters used in The People's Republic of China?

I am afraid that, for once, Parser's beliefs have influenced his contribution.I have underlined his 'opinion' expressions. My comment that British English was the correct form was meant to be humorous, as evidenced by the ;-). I do not seriously suggest that BrE is more correct than AmE. However, there are some parts of the world in which, for whatever reason, BrE has higher status than AmE. In those parts, Parser's advice would not be helpful.

My suggestion is this: if you have been taught by teachers who use AmE as their model, do not attempt to change. Equally, do not change if you have been taught by speakers who use BrE, or indeed any other major dialect, as their model. If you changed you might end up with a mixed dialect which satisfied nobody.

You might say that "marvellous" is an English (language) word and "marvelous" is an American (language) word.;-):)

Would it not be better thus: You might say that "marvellous" is a British (language) word and "marvelous" is an American (language) word. ?:roll:

Would it not be better thus: You might say that "marvellous" is a British (language) word and "marvelous" is an American (language) word. ?:roll:
Perhaps it would, yes.

Pinbong,

As you know the English people developed the marvelous English

language, so they deserve our highest respect, honor, and

gratitude.

P. S. The gentle and friendly disagreement over English spelling

is a little like the gentle and friendly disagreement here in the

United States: Should American students be taught to write

Chinese characters using "traditional" characters or the

"simplified" characters used in The People's Republic of China?

I am still of the school that says the English inherited the language from previous generations, exactly as we did. Any Englishman who thinks his English is superior to mine.... well, bless him, he's a fool.

Unless he really is a better writer or orator. I'm talking about the regional differences. They are not differences in value.

Toronto may be farther from Stratford-upon-Avon than London, but our English is no further from the Bard's than is theirs. In fact it may be closer. Not that that's the criterion par excellence, but it should give pause to those who evaluate different geolects in a hasty manner.

Sorry for my belated reply. I totally forgot this question.

And thanks for all the valuable advice given.:)

I do know some major differences of BrE and AmE. Just some of them. Mainly in spelling, like color vs colour, favor vs favour, center vs centre,..etc.

And I know some differences in pronunciation too. Such as the "o" sound. Americans pronounce it more like [a], while Brits pronounce it rounder....Americans slur more. And I've also noticed Americans can not pronounce the sound [ju:], what British pronounce as ['abs3lju:tli] Americans say['abs3lu:tli].

But I'm less familiar with diffenrences in spellings like "marvelous" , or in tenses like "the couple thinks" and "the couple think. (Actually never heard of them till I came across them.) And the other day I just found that "heterogeneous" and "heterogenous" were both correct too. It'll be okay for me if the dictionary labels them as BrE and AmE respectively. But problem is, my idiot dictionary lists "heterogenous" and "heterogeneous" as two different words.!!!

I have respect for both dialects. In school, our listening materials have BrE and AmE mixed together and we are supposed to be able to understand both. But unfortunately most students can understand neither.

In recent years, AmE has sort of become mainstream in China. Many students are trying hard to learn American accents. And whereever you go you hear American English spoken. I personally would love to keep my own accent, which is a mixed sort of Chinese+British+American. haha. I find it dangerous not being able to understand British accent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back