Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does "mark one's territory" means the animal tried to show his territory by this kind of physical contact to mean get away from my place?

ip72
ex)...After the lion walk, we visited the breeding center. We were able to pet the lions through the protection of a fence, but I wasn't very pleased when one of the lionesses marked her territory all over my jeans, t-shirt, and face!...

She urinated all over the writer.

Rover

Is it slang or an idiom to mean that? I never expected such an answer.

Is it slang or an idiom to mean that? I never expected such an answer.

Lions, as well as other animals such as dogs and wolves, mark their territory by urinating on its boundaries.

It's also why your cat may pee on your bed if you bring a new cat home. The old cat is saying "Hey, this is where *I* go and you can find somewhere else" to the new cat; he not telling you he's mad at you for bringing an intruder in.

Human beings do something similar but much more genteel. Show me someone who's bought a new house (but old - not purpose-built), who hasn't put up book-shelves :)

b

I'm not sure about female cats, but un-neutered male (domestic) cats "spray" to mark their territory. It's not urine, it's a hormone-laden spray which comes from a gland at the rear of the animal. Generally, this spray-marking stops once the cat is neutered.

Both male and female cats mark their territory by rubbing the sides of their face/mouth against surfaces - there is another gland on the face, between the whiskers, which also releases a hormone/pheromone. My (female) cat particularly enjoys doing this all around my ankles and various bits of furniture.

Never stand too close to a big cat.

I read it in a book: Memoirs of a Lion Tamer ​by Claude Percy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back