Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Have I made any mistakes?

Mark often thought back over his boxing career and what it meant to his life. If it had not been for sports he would either have been in prison or dead, just as the majority of his friends and schoolmates. In the suburb where he had grown up, gangs of young criminals made their own laws and then punished those who didn't obey them. The police were nowhere to be seen, and they were satisfied as long as the gang members were killing each other. He had heard police officers calling that "natural selection". For Mark, boxing was the road to freedom and security. When he got his professional contract at the age of nineteen, he felt as if he had won all championships in the world, and when he left the grey suburb a year later, he never returned, not even as a visitor. Sometimes, he was reading in the newspapers about the killings and other crimes which happened regularly in the suburb, and he was thanking his good fortune for not living there.

Have I made any mistakes?

Mark often thought back over his boxing career and what it meant to his life. If it had not been for sports he would either have been in prison or dead, just as the majority of his friends and schoolmates. In the suburb where he had grown up, gangs of young criminals made their own laws and then punished those who didn't obey them. The police were nowhere to be seen, and they were satisfied as long as the gang members were killing each other. He had heard police officers calling that "natural selection". For Mark, boxing was the road to freedom and security. When he got his professional contract at the age of nineteen, he felt as if he had won all championships in the world, and when he left the grey suburb a year later, he never returned, not even as a visitor. Sometimes, he was reading in the newspapers about the killings and other crimes which happened regularly in the suburb, and he was thanking his good fortune for not living there.
I've underlined where to make changes.

I believe the changes should be this.
1. If it had not been for sports, he would either have been in prison or dead
2. he felt as if he had won all the championships in the world
3. Sometimes, he read in the newspapers about the killings and other crimes

... and he thanked his good fortune ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back