Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Have I made any mistakes?

Maria visited her daughter many times and noticed that Jo never kissed or hugged her children or showed tenderness. She seemed to be keeping a distance from them as if they were strangers. Maria asked her what had happened, but Jo was evasive and replied curtly that she was busy with her work didn't have time. Maria shook her head, dissatisfied with the reply but didn't wish to pry. Jo had recently divorced and she feared that her daughter projected her own frustrations onto her children.

Not a teacher

was busy with her work
and didn't have time.

I'd probably write "
dissatisfied with the reply but not wishing to pry."
I'd put a comma after "divorced", as well as changing "she" to "Maria" for clarity.

I might change "tenderness" to "affection", although that's more of a stylistic choice.

Have I made any mistakes?

Maria visited her daughter many times and noticed that Jo never kissed or hugged her children or showed any affection. She seemed to be keeping a distance from them as if they were strangers. Maria asked her what had happened, but Jo was evasive and replied curtly that she was busy with her work didn't have time for them. Maria shook her head, dissatisfied with the reply, but she didn't want to pry. Jo had recently divorced, and she feared that her daughter projected her own frustrations onto her children.

I hope that's just a writing exercise and not a true story. It's very sad.
:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back