Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Have I made any mistakes?

Maria came home after a two-week stay in hospital and discovered that her expensive dinner set and some jewellery had disappeared. She looked her two daughters in the eye and asked, "How could you? Don't you have shame?" Lea and Bea blushed and looked down. An awkward silence fell over the room. Lea looked up and said, "We have debts. Nobody is going to lend money to poor singles mothers, aren't they?"
Maria said, "You could've asked, instead of stealing. Now please leave my home."
Two women slowly got up, picked their coats from a rack, dressed and stood in the middle of the hall, looking dejectedly at their mother. "Mother, we're sorry," Bea said.

"Go away," Maria shouted and rose from the table with the help of her walking stick. She hobbled to the door, opened it wide and let the cold, winter air enter the house. Lea and Bea stepped outside in silence, their heads bent in shame, and vanished into the grey winter day.
Maria shut the door with the bang and hobbled back to the table. She sat down and shook her head in disappointment. Anger flooded through her, causing her head to spin. She lifted the stick and smashed it against the table. An empty coffee cup bounced up and fell to the floor with a crash. "How can you steal from your own mother?" she shouted. "I gave birth to two witches. Had I known, I would've aborted them." She stared at the portrait of her late husband, who stared back at her with his sad dark eyes. "Poor Robert," she said. "Fortunately, he died in time to prevent him see what we had created."

Have I made any mistakes?

Maria came home after a two-week stay in hospital and discovered that her expensive dinner set and some jewellery had disappeared. She looked her two daughters in the eye and asked, "How could you? Don't you have any shame?" Lea and Bea blushed and looked down. An awkward silence fell over the room. Lea looked up and said, "We have debts. Nobody is going to lend money to poor single[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] mothers, are they?"

So far.

Last edited:
Maria said, "You could've asked, instead of stealing. Now please leave my home."
The two women slowly got up, picked their coats from a rack, dressed and stood in the middle of the hall, looking dejectedly at their mother. "Mother, we're sorry," Bea said.

"Go away," Maria shouted and rose from the table with the help of her walking stick. She hobbled to the door, opened it wide and let the cold winter air enter the house. Lea and Bea stepped outside in silence, their heads bent in shame, and vanished into the grey winter day.
Maria shut the door with a bang and hobbled back to the table. She sat down and shook her head in disappointment. Anger flooded through her, causing her head to spin. She lifted the stick and smashed it against the table. An empty coffee cup bounced up and fell to the floor with a crash. "How can you steal from your own mother?" she shouted. "I gave birth to two witches! Had I known, I would've aborted them." She stared at the portrait of her late husband, who stared back at her with his sad dark eyes. "Poor Robert," she said. "Fortunately, he died in time to prevent him from seeing what we created."

Finished!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back