Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is it okay to use mantle with moss?

Is this correct and natural?

A mantle of moss coated the tiles of the gabled houses near the valley.

Mantel isn't really all that common of a word, other than being used to describe the shelf above a fireplace.

You can just say that moss coated the tiles.

OK, I feel stupid now. I'll quietly exit.

• Haha
Reactions: 5jj
Yes, it is okay to use "mantle" with "moss." A mantle is a layer or covering, and moss is a type of plant that can form a covering on surfaces such as rocks, trees, and roof tiles. Therefore, it is natural to use the phrase "a mantle of moss" to describe a covering of moss on a surface.

The sentence "A mantle of moss coated the tiles of the gabled houses near the valley" is grammatically correct, and it describes that there is a covering of moss on the tiles of the gabled houses near the valley.

Isn't that what Saski said?

No.

@Saski Uchiha It states that there is a covering of moss.
Sorry for the late response. I apologize for confusion caused. The sentence "A mantle of moss coated the tiles of the gabled houses near the valley" does not state that there is a covering of moss, it states that there is moss that has covered or coated the tiles of the gabled houses near the valley. It's a descriptive sentence that describes the presence of moss on the tiles and its affect on the gabled houses.

It's important to note that moss is a type of plant that can grow on various surfaces, like rocks, trees, roof tiles, and can form a covering over time. It's commonly found in moist and humid environments, and it can be a sign of neglect or lack of maintenance in the case of a man-made structure like a gabled house.

The sentence ... does not state that there is a covering of moss, it states that
That's a comma splice. Use a semicolon or a full stop instead.

The sentence "A mantle of moss coated the tiles of the gabled houses near the valley" does not state that there is a covering of moss; it states that there is moss that has covered or coated the tiles of the gabled houses near the valley. It's a descriptive sentence that describes the presence of moss on the tiles and its affect effect on the gabled houses.
I don't know what you're trying to get at here. The original sentence makes it clear that there is a covering of moss - that covering of moss is on those tiles.
Note my correction to your comma splice and your confusion between "affect" and "effect".
It's important to note that moss is a type of plant that can grow on various surfaces, like rocks, trees, roof tiles, and can form a covering over time. It's commonly found in moist and humid environments, and it can be a sign of neglect or lack of maintenance in the case of a man-made structure like a gabled house.
The OP didn't suggest that they don't know what moss is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back