Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
2023 is an important year for India. The UN estimates that the country has now surpassed China as the world's most populous nation. It holds the G20 presidency, taking over from Indonesia, and its New Delhi Leader's Summit in September will be the first to be hosted in south Asia. What will these developments mean for its role in the international system? India says that it wants to amplify the voice of the Global South, and its G20 goals reflect this ambition. But the nationalist agenda of Narendra Modi's government, its resistance to multilateralism, and a raft of pressing domestic concerns threaten the chances of making these aims a reality.

Source: The Lancet
(Editorial) India's ascendancy: leadership demands integrity

What do "these aims" refer to? The-previous sentence appears to point to one aim - "India says that it wants to amplify the voice of the Global South" (the amplifying is the aim). So using "these aims" seems not fully fitting the context.

On second thought, it seems "India's G20 goals" are "these aims" (the goals together constitutes India's ambition). But the grammmar lookls a bit awkward to me.

I am not sure. What does "these aims" actually mean?

I agree that it's not, on first reading, entirely clear. However, I think "these aims" refers back to "its G20 goals".

these aims = its G20 goals

[cross-posted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back