Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Your attendance at the meeting makes me feel very happy.

A. attendance
B. meeting
C. makes
D. happy

I have 5 questions presented as follows:

Question 1:

Is your attending/ presence at the meeting a better choice because attendance goes with something happening reguarly?

Cambridge: the fact of going somewhere such as a church, school, etc. regularly.

But, I can say a lot of people disagree with the correction. What do you think?

Question 2:

Your attendance at the meeting made/ would make/ will make me feel very happy.

Is this okay with three corrections above? I am wondering whether will make is acceptable?

Question 3:

Well, this question is a TOEFL one so there is at least one mistake. However, if it is not the case, will you English native speakers accept that the first question of the topic is acceptable?

Your attendance at the meeting makes me feel very happy.

I meant that you guys naturally accept how it is without questioning any grammatical mistake it can have. I have some friends stating that they think makes - Present Simple can be used here and it is the way native speakers view the question. As I provide 3 corrections, I don't agree with them, however, when it comes to Spoken English, are they right? Does anyone of you here accept that this question is grammatically acceptable?

If you do, please explain why Present Simple can go with makes? Because of attendance (regularly)?

Question 4:

A native speaker named MilkyBarKid suggested me this, it's amazing.

Your attendance at this meeting makes me feel very happy.
Your attendance at the meetings makes me feel very happy.

Are the two sentences above grammatically perfect?

Question 5:

I am not so sure about this one but I still want to ask.

Your attending at the meeting ...(1)... me feel very happy.
Your attending at this meeting ...(2)... me feel very happy.

I think if the problem in Question 4 is solved, the questions in Question 5 will somehow be explained as well.

Please help me to answer each question seperately.

Last edited:
Q1: No because other dictionaries define attendance as being present somewhere.

Q2: You're using two different tenses here (the past simple and the future simple) as well as the second conditional, which leads to three different meanings.

Q3: "Your attendance at the meeting makes me feel very happy" is perfectly acceptable. I don't see any problems here.

Q4: No problems here also.

Q5: Your attending the/this meeting makes me feel very happy.

;-)

Q3: "Your attendance at the meeting makes me feel very happy" is perfectly acceptable. I don't see any problems here.

Q4: No problems here also.

Q5: Your attending the/this meeting makes me feel very happy.

For these 3 questions, I want to ask why you use Present Simple? Is make a Non-continuous Verb (mixed)?

The word attendance can refer to one time or any number of times.

Say:

No problems either.​

Hồ Quang Trung;1135410 said:
For these 3 questions, I want to ask why you use Present Simple? Is make a Non-continuous Verb (mixed)?

In this sentence, "make" is being used as a state verb to indicate a state not an action; hence the present simple.
;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back