Make a gift of rose, hand stay lingering fragrance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Make a gift of rose, hand stay lingering fragrance.

Many people in China use this sentence to mean “The fragrance always stays in the hand that gives the rose.” But I don’t think it makes sense. What do you say?

In what situation would that sentence be used in China? That might help us to come up with a similar idiom or proverb in English.

Hi, emsr2d2.

They use the sentence in the OP to mean when you help others, you also get something back, for example, good mood, friendship, respect and so on. Is there a similar proverb or saying in English?

@diamondcutter In my post I referring to the first one, which was what I thought your question was about. As for the fragrance staying in a person's hand, that is not literally true. (It's probably not meant literally.) Perhaps: "Good things come to those who do good for others."

But I found the meaning of the proverb--What goes around comes around--is not positive on this page:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back