Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is magic " E " an authentic idea in teaching sounds and letters?

It seems to work for many children.

It seems to work for many children.

I agree, it helps a lot. I tell children it makes the preceding vowel say its name, and call it the bossy E.

I agree, it helps a lot. I tell children it makes the preceding vowel say its name, and call it the bossy E.

Yeah, that's exactly what I do and I AM in line with you . just wanted to be sure about it's authenticity.

Yeah, that's exactly what I do and I AM in line with you . just wanted to be sure about it's authenticity.
I am not quite sure what you mean by 'authenticity'. It's not infallible, but it's a very useful starter.

I am not quite sure what you mean by 'authenticity'. It's not infallible, but it's a very useful starter.

Just need to know whether it's acommon idea among natives or not.

Just need to know whether it's a common idea among natives or not.
Fashions in ways of teaching reading come and go, but I think that most of us are aware of the magic E (or 'bossy E').

By the way, I missed a typo in your last post: '... be sure about it's authenticity'.

Fashions in ways of teaching reading come and go, but I think that most of us are aware of the magic E (or 'bossy E').

By the way, I missed a typo in your last post: '... be sure about it's authenticity'.

sorry I don't get it! what do you mean by " I missed a typo... " ?

I did not see a mistake of yours at first. When I spotted it later, and mentioned it to you, I assumed that it was simply a mis-typing. There is an apostrophe in 'its' only when it's a contraction of 'it is' or 'it has'.

I wasn't sure about [STRIKE]it's[/STRIKE] its authenticity.

I did not see a mistake of yours at first. When I spotted it later, and mentioned it to you, I assumed that it was simply a mis-typing. There is an apostrophe in 'its' only when it's a contraction of 'it is' or 'it has'.

I wasn't sure about [STRIKE]it's[/STRIKE] its authenticity.

Oops, sorry!

Magic E doesn't have any effect on a ho, does it? :roll: ( :lol: )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back