Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
What is the meaning of "Made $50K Last Year"?

Does it mean $50K profits? or is it $50K revenue?

Without context it could mean several different things.

I saw that in a title when scrolling (forgot where), I cannot find it anymore. The title is something like: "How Michael Made $50K Last Year"

OK, so now we know it was Michael, we still don't know exactly what he did, but I would guess that he earned $50K last year. It remains a possibility that he stole it or printed it, however.

What I am asking is if someone says "I made $50K last year by selling shoes", does it mean that the $50K is pure profits or is it the revenue?

** I am not a teacher. **

I would understand that to mean the person earned fifty thousand dollars in profit. "I make $X" is a common way to say your gross income is $X.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is an individual's income, then it could simply be fifty thousand, regardless of profit.

If you're chatting to business owners/the self employed, then they probably mean profit. If you're chatting to employees they probably mean salary.

Revenue or turnover- I don't think they mean that.

If it is revenue, then it doesn't sound like a great claim. It would sound better as an income.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back